Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Poll: Which line should the fence follow?
Poll Options
Which line should the fence follow?

Old 07-26-2008, 11:12 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Where should I put my fence? PICS + POLL

New Question Post 13

Which line do you think is best to put new fence. Backyard is huge so cutting it short a little isn't a big deal. The drive way is short and narrow so it does provide a small blind spot when backing out.

Last edited by amdspitfire; 08-04-2008 at 01:03 AM.
amdspitfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 12:17 AM   #2

I believe I would place it along the red line. I would install a gate where the fence meets the garage.

Docfletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 07:13 AM   #3
sweaty

I would install no fence unless you need to keep in little kids or a dog.
sweaty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 09:27 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweaty View Post
I would install no fence unless you need to keep in little kids or a dog.
In california, everyone has a fence mainly for privacy and security.
Old 07-27-2008, 11:32 AM   #5

One of the reasons I like the red line approach is that plantings can be placed in front of the fence in a cascading fashion, thus creating a seamless transition between fence, house and yard.

The green line approach would encroach on the city easement.
Docfletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 04:55 PM   #6

Lightbulb

I think the fence should be at least as far from the street as the red line. As an earlier responder noted this would give you room for landscaping. Archetecturally, putting the fence in a foot or two further back, more or less in the same plane as that side of the house, might look good.

Is that second curb cut in front of the hedge on your property? If so, the fence location may be impact the utility of that space. Could you allow enough room to park a boat, RV or trailer in front of the fence and off the sidewalk? You may also want to put a gate or a removable section of fence there to allow access for equipment into the backyard.
54woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 05:58 PM   #7

thats a huge back yard? Sorry im used to the country over here in Bama. Anyhow i was first thinking the yellow line for space but the red line will proly look the best along with some landscaping out front and a gate.
ididit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 10:52 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54woody View Post
I think the fence should be at least as far from the street as the red line. As an earlier responder noted this would give you room for landscaping. Archetecturally, putting the fence in a foot or two further back, more or less in the same plane as that side of the house, might look good.

Is that second curb cut in front of the hedge on your property? If so, the fence location may be impact the utility of that space. Could you allow enough room to park a boat, RV or trailer in front of the fence and off the sidewalk? You may also want to put a gate or a removable section of fence there to allow access for equipment into the backyard.
Yah, the second curb cut is part of my property. I will be putting a double gate there to leave access incase needed in the future

Quote:
Originally Posted by ididit View Post
thats a huge back yard? Sorry im used to the country over here in Bama. Anyhow i was first thinking the yellow line for space but the red line will proly look the best along with some landscaping out front and a gate.
HAHA, as pathetic as it sounds this is considered a large lot. Land is very expensive and scarce in the bay area.
Old 07-29-2008, 07:07 PM   #9
Don't know it all, yet!

Quote:
I believe I would place it along the red line. I would install a gate where the fence meets the garage.
Absolutely, positively!!!

Quote:
thus creating a seamless transition between fence, house and yard.
Doc,
Are you thinking street side of the fence there or behind it? Not sure I'm seeing where the transition to the yard would be.

Spitfire,
Red line would also give you more visibility for traffic when you are leaving the garage.
Old 07-30-2008, 07:34 AM   #10

Red line. If you need to get future equipment in there, I' go with a 6-ft. gate, not too close to the garage.
Old 07-30-2008, 11:22 AM   #11

Green line is for the Ghetto,

Red line for curb appeal if you ever plan on selling. To boost resale and look great put a small gated arbor for access if your planning any access from that side.
agrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 04:32 PM   #12

I also like red line and the thought of a great perennial garden in front. If you do the yellow line, I would angle the corner of the fence so you get more visibility when backing out.
Allison1888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 01:01 AM   #13

Thanks for all the great feedback guys, new question.

Fence is coming along great just want to include the curved piece over the latice, pictured in this example. Is that a buy piece or build? What would I use to cut that curve?
Old 08-04-2008, 07:17 AM   #14

Those are very nice and I do believe very expensive because you have to buy a 10 to 12 inch wide board to cut the radius for that curve. If money is not an object go ahead.
Less expensive is to use 4x8 lattice and cut it to fit the amount of height you need and route a top and botton piece of wood to set in in. I'm sure people will have lots of ideas to make the top more decorative (and affordable)
Good Luck
agrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 08:53 AM   #15

It is a nice detail. I'd make a 1/4" thick template, rough cut it with a jigsaw and use a router with a guide bushing for the curve and a slot cutting bit for the groove for the vertical slats. Other tools could be a hand held jigsaw or bandsaw for the curve.