Where To Find Quality Garden Tools - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-18-2009, 09:13 AM   #1
DIYer

Rewards Points: 75

Where to find quality garden tools

I'm interested in knowing if you've purchased yard tools (shovels, rakes, hoes, etc) that you're particularly happy with. Where did you purchase them? What brand, model, etc? I have a hard time finding garden spades and rakes that can withstand the punishment I give them. I know it's a lot to ask of a shovel to be able to turn a previously-tilled vegetable garden without the blade actually bending backwards, or for a half-moon edger to slice the top soil without the handle snapping off where the blade is bolted through it, but I imagine there must be ones out there than can handle this much abuse!

Seriously, the garden tools available to buy at HD & Lowes are crap. Those of you that really need these tools to serve you well, where do you buy them? What brands/models should I look for?

Thanks!

Advertisement

Old 05-18-2009, 10:48 AM   #2
(the original)

Rewards Points: 642

Go to a real tool supply, or a good farm or garden supply and look for Union/Razorback Pro or Jackson, or even the higher end Ames brand. I believe Ames has bought out most of the others at this point. You get what you pay for

Advertisement

ratherbefishin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 10:55 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,360

The half-moon edger I have (about 10 years now) is all one solid piece of steel. I'm pretty sure I got it at Lowe's, but they might have switched to selling poorer quality edgers.

I've had good luck with Ame's(sp?) brand yard tools.

I'm not sure about brand names, I just look for tools that don't have ANY plastic parts that also look sturdy.

With tools, you usually get what you pay for.
gma2rjc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 11:12 AM   #4
DIYer

Rewards Points: 75

Thanks for the replies. While it's true that you usually get what you pay for with tools, I just cant seem to win with garden tools. I don't know where else to buy them locally besides the big boxes, and what I've bought there has been terrible. I've bought the best (read: most expensive) they offer, and invariably they fail me. The half-moon edger came from one of those stores. The wooden handle broke at the joint with the head within 5 minutes of first use. They wouldn't take it back. The Ames spade I bought there is as flimsy as a cookie sheet. When I try to dig clay with it, the blade bends backwards. The old hand-me-down shovels I have from yesteryear can handle this stuff. I also bought one of those fiberglass-handled spades. The handle is nice and strong, as is the blade, but the joint between the two is prone to twisting.

I'll look into Union/Razorback Pro and Jackson. I wonder where I might find them locally. What constitutes a a real tool supply, or a good farm or garden supply? Does Tractor Supply or Agway count?
Old 05-18-2009, 11:31 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,360

That's too bad about your edger. It would be worth checking Tractor Supply or if you have an Ace Hardware nearby.
gma2rjc is online now   Reply With Quote