Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-07-2012, 06:13 PM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 1,030
Share |
Default

when/how to mow lawn in severe drought


Here in Southern WI we have been in a severe drought. We are starting to get some more rain. When and how should I mow my lawn in this case? I haven't mowed my lawn in 2 months it seems like.

dinosaur1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 06:25 PM   #2
DIY staff
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Kane county,Illinois
Posts: 21,249
Default

when/how to mow lawn in severe drought


Set the blades to the highest setting and just knock down the weeds---That's what I've been doing.

Caught the dang grass on fire with a small trash burn---

__________________
New members: Adding your location to your profile helps in many ways.--M--
oh'mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 06:34 PM   #3
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 1,030
Default

when/how to mow lawn in severe drought


Quote:
Originally Posted by oh'mike
Set the blades to the highest setting and just knock down the weeds---That's what I've been doing.

Caught the dang grass on fire with a small trash burn---
Thanks. Have you been spraying the weeds?
dinosaur1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 06:48 PM   #4
DIY staff
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Kane county,Illinois
Posts: 21,249
Default

when/how to mow lawn in severe drought


No---I like the green---and the weed are the only green---
__________________
New members: Adding your location to your profile helps in many ways.--M--
oh'mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 07:05 PM   #5
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 1,030
Default

when/how to mow lawn in severe drought


Quote:
Originally Posted by oh'mike
No---I like the green---and the weed are the only green---
Lol. Nice one.
dinosaur1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 07:19 PM   #6
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: SW burbs of Chi-town
Posts: 87
Default

when/how to mow lawn in severe drought


Same thing here in the Land O' Lincoln.
I mowed last week for the first time since before July 4th.
Last week it rained twice and I swear the grass has grown 6 inches!!
Doorman54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 07:23 PM   #7
DIY staff
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Kane county,Illinois
Posts: 21,249
Default

when/how to mow lawn in severe drought


Quote:
Originally Posted by Doorman54 View Post
Same thing here in the Land O' Lincoln.
I mowed last week for the first time since before July 4th.
Last week it rained twice and I swear the grass has grown 6 inches!!

Mine too--I'll have to air up the tires on the mower and whack it down---

I really understand the California people with green rocks instead of grass--

Nice not to have to mow
__________________
New members: Adding your location to your profile helps in many ways.--M--
oh'mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 11:57 AM   #8
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 36
Default

when/how to mow lawn in severe drought


Resist the urge to do much of anything. Hand pulling weeds should be all that you should be undertaking as fertilizing, pesticide use, and mowing are all putting even greater stress on the lawn. Fertilizers and pesticides also are made up of salts, further exacerbating the problem. Just enough water to keep the roots from dying will help out a ton as we move into cooler weather. Kentucky bluegrass, etc. is a cool-season turf that will almost always go dormant in the heat of the summer (which we've certainly had in SE Wisconsin this year). Keeping the roots alive, you'll have a nice green lawn again in fall.

Be ready to do some serious overseeding this fall for your dead spots. A dethatching rake or the like will lift that dad grass and make a perfect planting bed for the new seed to grow this fall.
Plump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 12:14 PM   #9
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 1,030
Default

when/how to mow lawn in severe drought


Quote:
Originally Posted by Plump
Resist the urge to do much of anything. Hand pulling weeds should be all that you should be undertaking as fertilizing, pesticide use, and mowing are all putting even greater stress on the lawn. Fertilizers and pesticides also are made up of salts, further exacerbating the problem. Just enough water to keep the roots from dying will help out a ton as we move into cooler weather. Kentucky bluegrass, etc. is a cool-season turf that will almost always go dormant in the heat of the summer (which we've certainly had in SE Wisconsin this year). Keeping the roots alive, you'll have a nice green lawn again in fall.

Be ready to do some serious overseeding this fall for your dead spots. A dethatching rake or the like will lift that dad grass and make a perfect planting bed for the new seed to grow this fall.
My lawn is starting to get greener and the grass is starting to get taller. I have to mow it soon. I will just set it at a higher setting.
dinosaur1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 01:15 PM   #10
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 1,721
Default

when/how to mow lawn in severe drought


Same thing in Michigan. We have a couple of acres of what used to be lawn, and I haven't found enough grass to make it worth getting the mower out for a couple of months. Starting a few weeks ago, I have been making an evening stroll every few days, with a hand whip, knocking off the taller weeds. It doesn't come close to fun or exciting, but at least the lawn looks better now. On an only slightly positive note, I was shooting the breeze with one of the local farmers a few days ago, when he mentioned that even the weeds were starting to have a hard time, and darned if he wasn't right.
DexterII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 02:36 PM   #11
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 1,030
Default

when/how to mow lawn in severe drought


Maybe I shouldn't mow it and just use my string trimmer in some spots instead.
dinosaur1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 10:01 PM   #12
Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Massachusetts, USA
Posts: 325
Default

when/how to mow lawn in severe drought


I've got some regions of my lawn that are good grass (but dormant/dead) and some other areas where weeds are still dominant. The weeds seem to be still alive and growing, so I have set my mower low to scalp just those regions. When the cool season returns I'll target these areas for clearing and overseeding. Right now I am just trying to keep the weeds from going to seed.

Generally you want to mow high, but I have some clear regions of my lawn where it is all crabgrass. Some other areas are good grass, and I have been hand pulling the occasional weeds (which are pretty conspicuous against the dormant lawn).
Thunder Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 10:15 PM   #13
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 1,030
Default

when/how to mow lawn in severe drought


We're supposed to get 1 1/2 inches of rain the next 2 days. Wait and mow on Sunday?

dinosaur1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Please help with my ridiculous front lawn slope billyh Landscaping & Lawn Care 14 05-20-2012 07:46 PM
What the hell happened to my lawn? (also: reseeding when weeds are present. N.Y.) Deck Landscaping & Lawn Care 14 05-24-2011 12:45 PM
New lawn + garden - garden is now a swamp Frozinite Landscaping & Lawn Care 8 09-15-2010 07:23 PM
Trying to revive dead lawn... deevahs Landscaping & Lawn Care 2 05-13-2010 12:34 PM
Why can't I grow a proper lawn? joeyboy Landscaping & Lawn Care 7 11-21-2007 11:36 AM




Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.