Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-03-2013, 02:36 PM   #1

Share |

What would you do with the side of my house?

It's a bit of a mess right now, but I'd like to do an overhaul of the side of my house.

It's the shaded side, so I'd rather not bother with attempting to grow grass.

I'd like to add some 16x16 or 18x18 patio pavers for a walking path down to the backyard, but I don't know what to do with the rest of it.

RCGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 02:44 PM   #2
Still Decompressing

Withought seeing the rest of your yard/house......

Take advantage of the natural shade with a paver / patio area. Someplace to park bikes or other toys.

Maybe a privacy fence or something to give you some view blockage from the neighbors. I know I tend to move every 3-4 years, and I am always looking for more parking area for cars, motorcyles, bikes, trash cans etc.

caveeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 04:09 PM   #3
Bill Kearney

Depends on your budget. There are plenty of ground cover plants suitable for shaded areas. Visit a local nursery for some ideas and prices.

Meanwhile, update your profile to indicate a location, that'd help anyone trying to offer region-specific suggestions.
wkearney99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 04:10 PM   #4

Located St. John's, NL, Canada

Apart from plant suggestions, I'd like some thoughts on adding PT wood planters or something similar.
RCGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 04:19 PM   #5
Bill Kearney

Planters would just add to the cost. Sure, you could do them, but what would they be sitting upon? Your idea of a paver path sounds good. Adding beds into the ground next to them would seem like a simple way to handle the area. If you start adding boundaries to the edges you likewise start requiring the path being wider. A simple path with the ground cover at the same level can be relatively narrow as you wouldn't have any tripping hazards along the side. But as you start raising up the sides you'd want to widen the path (adding to the paver costs) in order to avoid tripping against them.

But what other needs might you have for the space? If it's just going to be an infrequently used path then ground cover plants would seem like a nice fit. I'm not familiar with what would work in your growing zone, for that you'd definitely need local advice.
wkearney99 is offline   Reply With Quote