Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-11-2012, 05:12 PM   #1

Share |

What would you do?

I have a John Deere L130, recently we can only cut the grass for about an hour (we have 2 1/2 acres) and then we have to quit because the tractor will not go up slight grades. I asked about this on a previous post but here is what I am faced with...I changed all the basic stuff. Oil, Air filter, spark plug and still no difference (which I expected). I received a link from this website to a guy that sells K66 transmissions that would replace my K46 because that is what everybody thinks it is. it is $1600! I emailed the guy and asked if I should change the drive belt first (since it runs for an hour and then quits working. Thinking the belt is getting warm and stretching) and he said everybody thinks that and it still doesn't help. So here are my three options, what would you do:
  1. Try and change the drive belt first (which I hear is a PITA)
  2. Buy the upgraded transmission for $1600 (excluding the new tires that are sold separate)
  3. Buy a new frickin' riding tractor!!!!
Thanks for your opinions.
Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 05:38 PM   #2

What would you do?

I'd rent one of these. They are great at keeping grass down on slopes:

http://www.google.com/imgres?hl=en&s...,r:2,s:0,i:144

Cheers.
Thunder Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 06:18 PM   #3
Learning Things Every Day

What would you do?

Last edited by Jay 78; 05-12-2012 at 07:24 AM.
Jay 78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 07:04 PM   #4

What would you do?

Well, seriously, it does depend on the slope and how quickly you want to top the hill. You can put a 600 hp motor anything and mow pretty darned near anything. If that's what you're itching to do, you can do it. But there are slower ways to do everything, if you are of the temperament.

How much of your property is steep slope?
Old 05-11-2012, 08:13 PM   #5

What would you do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke View Post
I have a John Deere L130, recently we can only cut the grass for about an hour (we have 2 1/2 acres) and then we have to quit because the tractor will not go up slight grades. I asked about this on a previous post but here is what I am faced with...I changed all the basic stuff. Oil, Air filter, spark plug and still no difference (which I expected). I received a link from this website to a guy that sells K66 transmissions that would replace my K46 because that is what everybody thinks it is. it is $1600! I emailed the guy and asked if I should change the drive belt first (since it runs for an hour and then quits working. Thinking the belt is getting warm and stretching) and he said everybody thinks that and it still doesn't help. So here are my three options, what would you do:
  2. Buy the upgraded transmission for $1600 (excluding the new tires that are sold separate)

How old is your L130,and is there an adjustment for the belt??
Canarywood1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 08:36 PM   #6

What would you do?

It's about 8 years old and I have no idea if there are adjustments for it. Thanks for a serious answer
Old 05-11-2012, 09:45 PM   #7

What would you do?

Hey, I WAS serious too!
Old 05-11-2012, 10:59 PM   #8
A Little Of Everything

What would you do?

Quote:
I've got an L120 John Deere. Basically the exact same unit you have.

Change the belt that drives the transmission. Yes, it's a PITA but it's your one shot at a cheap fix.

The belt number - from John Deere - is GX20006. Stens cross reference number is 265-186. Another part cross reference is 12-10434. It is a 17/32" x 88-5/8" belt. The belt is going to run you about $20.

Obviously, you'll need to remove the deck. And even then it's a nuisance to change it. Look the old belt over closely, and either draw a diagram of how it is routed, or take pictures.

If you still don't have much of any improvement, you'll probably (unfortunately) looking at big money. Those transmissions were not fool-proof. If that is the case, I wouldn't replace it. I'd be looking for a new mower.
DrHicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 09:35 AM   #9

What would you do?

+1 What DrHicks said.
Canarywood1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 10:21 AM   #10

What would you do?

Thanks DrHicks. It just is hard to swallow buying a new tractor when this is in good condition except for the tranny. If I get a new one, it will be a bigger one that I will have to finance. I think I am killing these little yard mowers with my 2 1/2 acres.
Old 05-12-2012, 10:29 AM   #11
A Little Of Everything

What would you do?

Quote:
Thanks DrHicks. It just is hard to swallow buying a new tractor when this is in good condition except for the tranny. If I get a new one, it will be a bigger one that I will have to finance. I think I am killing these little yard mowers with my 2 1/2 acres.
Yeah. 2-1/2 acres is a lot of grass. You may want to step up to a little heavier mower, even if it's less than a 48" deck.

Anyway, I'd strongly suggest you give the new belt a try. My sons & I used to mow commercially. My L120 has a TON of hours on it, and I actually used to tow a 5' trail mower. I've not burned out my transmission.

In other words, I think there's hope.

Also, don't spray belt dressing on either the transmission or the deck belt. More than anything, it'll attract dirt & cause more problems in the long run.

Good luck!
Old 05-12-2012, 10:36 AM   #12

What would you do?

Thanks again! I'll try the belt. Wouldn't I have to take the drive belt off anyway if I did by the new tranny?
Old 05-12-2012, 11:11 AM   #13
A Little Of Everything

What would you do?

Quote:
Thanks again! I'll try the belt. Wouldn't I have to take the drive belt off anyway if I did by the new tranny?
Oh yeah, the belt has to be removed/replaced if you're replacing the tranny.

It is also possible that you've got a tensioner/idler pulley that has come loose - or maybe a spring broke. I always hope for, and shoot for, the cheapest easiest fix first.

Here's the John Deere parts website. Just type in L130 in the upper left-hand dialog box. http://jdpc.deere.com/jdpc/servlet/c...ageServlet_Alt