Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-29-2012, 02:34 AM   #1

Share |

What would you do with this?

This is what we have done from 20 years ago when we first built the house and landscaped the sloping block. Nothing has been done to this area in the past 5 or so years apart from planting some plants. Now I am just 'Over It'.

Pic 1 - The tree root to the left needs to be dug out

Pic 2 - The walls and bricks need to be cleaned - which they have been since the photo was taken

Pic 3 - This is the bit that annoys me most The paved path has lifted from the tree roots (which is why we cut it down) The 'path' that runs from the paved area through to the back yard is a bother. I am currently making mosaiced stepping stones reusing these square pavers (see pic below) but I don't want it to just run in a straight line as did the old pavers. I'd like to put some curves in there but not quite sure how?

Pic 4

Pic 5

Its dull, boring (and mouldy from all the rain) and just lacks oomph!
So..........
1. The treated pine retaining walls have to stay
2. The volcanic rock has to stay (or at least some of it) as its to bl@@dy hard to get rid of
3. The paved path areas have to stay
4. The fish pond has to stay and
5. Obviously the 2 big rocks have to stay - but the rock orchids will be moved elsewhere
oh and
I want LOTS of colour

Any Ideas???
What do you think?

Last edited by Wandererone; 03-29-2012 at 02:38 AM.
Wandererone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 10:57 AM   #2
It's always something

What would you do with this?

Nice mosaics! I know you say the big rocks have to stay but that seems like a prime area for either a fire pit or a bbq pit You could freshen things up some by simply removing that stump, maybe re-do the bricks that were messed up by the stump, pressure wash the bricks and then sweep some sand into the bricks. If you're set on the lava rocks, just add a new layer of them to make it look new again. It might look nice to get some that are a different shade so it offsets that area a bit. Put a fresh coat of stain on the pine.

Planting some nice annuals around that big rock would immediately brighten everything up too.
SingleGuy is offline   Reply With Quote