What Tree ? - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-08-2013, 10:04 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 2,680

what tree ?

i am wondering about a tree like this =
http://us.cdn3.123rf.com/168nwm/chuy...d-on-white.jpg
doesn't get much higher than 30', under 25' preferably . and doesn't put a bunch of stuff all other my yard.

Advertisement

Fix'n it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 10:14 AM   #2
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

what tree ?

What do you want out of the tree? Shade (underneath or for the house)? Wind protection? Picturesque focus point of the landscape? Dramatic bark or color? Evergreen or deciduous? Flowering? Explosive fall color? Will it be lit with landscape lighting? Will there be other trees?

Are you going to want to sit under it? How much maintenance are you willing to put into keeping it up and raking after it in the Fall? How fast would you like it to grow?

Advertisement

user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 10:18 AM   #3

what tree ?

That picture shown is a deciduous. Good luck finding one that doesn't shed all over the yard. Even evergreens to some point shed a little, but they won't look like that.
creeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 10:33 AM   #4

what tree ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsester View Post
What do you want out of the tree? Shade (underneath or for the house)? Wind protection? Picturesque focus point of the landscape? Dramatic bark or color? Evergreen or deciduous? Flowering? Explosive fall color? Will it be lit with landscape lighting? Will there be other trees?

Are you going to want to sit under it? How much maintenance are you willing to put into keeping it up and raking after it in the Fall? How fast would you like it to grow?
i am going to put a 6'ish fence along my junky neighbors yard. the tree would go between the fence and my drive, about 6' grass area. i want to tree to hid my neighbors junk = the tree would continue where the fence stops. no evergreen.
i want it to be bushy enough to not much see through it. i know leaves fall, but hopefully not much other junk. hopefully doesn't grow slow. it doesn't have to be a special tree, just look nice.

there is one other tree. it is kinda big. my new tree would go up to about where this tree starts to branch out. and it isn't very bushy = on the thin side. it kind of a junky tree, but its staying, for now anyway.
Old 06-08-2013, 10:34 AM   #5

what tree ?

oh. if it does shed. as long as the mower will mulch it up, that would be great.
Old 06-08-2013, 10:37 AM   #6

what tree ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fix'n it View Post
oh. if it does shed. as long as the mower will mulch it up, that would be great.

I have a bunch of maples and elms. I do not pick up one single leaf in the fall. I just keep running them over and then let the worms eat the pieces.

In the spring there are mounds of worm casings all over but a good rake and the grass is ready for another summer
creeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 10:58 AM   #7

what tree ?

my property goes all the way to his "hut", and to the swing set. 5' off side of garage. his a/c unit is on my property.

i like all the foliage i have there now. sept the trees are a bit to tall, and they are not "on" the property line. if they were over 4'ish, i;d just leave what i have and try to add more.

Advertisement

Last edited by Fix'n it; 06-20-2013 at 10:32 PM.