Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-15-2010, 09:24 PM   #1

Share |

What treats powdery mildew on grass

I'm having a problem with powdery mildew on my lawn. I water M-F in the morning to avoid fungus problems. I overseeded in the fall, and have been overseeding the last 2 years. My backyard was wooded but I cleared the trees and have been trying to grow grass, it's now coming in nicely in areas but dying in other areas. When I was mowing the other day, I noticed powdery mildew in various sections and I also just noticed mushrooms growing. So I'm looking for treatments that hopefully won't kill my lawn. Any recommendations?
tdeepness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 03:53 PM   #2

I'm no expert, but I also get powdery mildew whenever we have a long wet spell. You mention that you water M-F. Is that every day, Monday through Friday? It's my understanding that you should only water once or twice a week, but water very deeply. Allow the grass to dry out for a couple of days between watering.

My lawn care man said he could spray an anti-fungal, but that it was expensive and didn't last very long. The only long-term solution is to overseed with a fungus-resistant grass.

Rick
houseinthewoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 04:47 PM   #3
Don't know it all, yet!

Rick is correct in watering only once per week for established lawns. The mushrooms are a dead giveaway of too much water. The best treatment is probably the cheapest. Let it dry out- to the point of almost wilting. The water deeply like a camel.

I have to wonder about the mildew. Personally I've never seen a mildew problem on lawns. Many flowers and shrubs are prone to mildew but it's not that common on grass. Could I ask how you got this diagnosis? Could be interesting to investigate.
Old 06-17-2010, 11:10 AM   #4

On my lawn, it starts with what looks like dust on the grass blades. If you walk through it, the dust flies up in the air like smoke. A couple of days after it appears, the grass blades turn brown and wither.

My lawn service guy (who seems to know what he's talking about) called it powdery mildew.

Rick
Old 06-17-2010, 12:26 PM   #5

"I have to wonder about the mildew. Personally I've never seen a mildew problem on lawns. Many flowers and shrubs are prone to mildew but it's not that common on grass. Could I ask how you got this diagnosis? Could be interesting to investigate."

What species of grass. When we ran our lawn care in Northeast KS, bluegrass was susceptible to powdery mildew because of the warm nights and damp spring.

I would echo the others, best choice to dry out, water deeply once a week, and if there is a lot of trees with low branches, trim at least 6 ft. off ground to get more air flow. Less moisture + more air = no mildew.
olderndirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 10:25 AM   #6
Don't know it all, yet!

olderndirt-
We don't have much bluegrass in Georgia. At any rate, we all agree that mildew comes from the way too frequent watering.
Old 06-19-2010, 09:53 AM   #7

Thanks everyone. I'll water deeply water once a week, any suggestions on how much time i should run the water?

Rick, the powdery mildew is exactly how you described it. I'm south jersey and the soil is very sandy, i've been using a fescue mix.
tdeepness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 06:08 PM   #8

My lawn is a mix of every kind of grass known to man. I've overseeded some areas with fescue mix, and those don't seem to be bothered. I believe the affected areas are the original bluegrass that the builder put down.