Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-03-2012, 04:03 PM   #1
Rav

Share |

What spreader setting for compost

After overseeding I'm going to put down 1/4 inch of Leafgro compost using a broadcast spreader. The info I've seen says it's fine-textured enough that it will work in a broadcast spreader. The question is, what setting will produce a depth of about 1/4 inch? I doubt it matters that I'm using Leafgro specifically, any fine-textured compost based on lawn clippings, leaves, etc. I have a Scotts Edgeguard Mini, which uses the same settings as a Scotts Edgeguard Deluxe, Scotts Edgeguard Pro, and Scotts Speedygreen series (1000, 2000, 3000). Anyone know what setting to use? Thanks.
Rav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 05:56 PM   #2
Too Short? Cut it Again!

I would not run any compost through a spreader and not expect clogging. Try I guess.

You will not be able to lay down 1/4" in one pass so set it at max and make several.

I really think you are overworking this simple task. I managed to grow nice turf by tossing compost with my hands from a wheelbarrow and raking it out in a pinch. And you are going to be walking all over your newly prepped seedbed more than you should if you use a spreader and make multiple passes.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 08:59 PM   #3
Home Remodeler

I rent a compost spreader. Looks like a barrell made of screen.
mikey48 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 10:22 AM   #4
Rav

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsester View Post
I would not run any compost through a spreader and not expect clogging. Try I guess.

You will not be able to lay down 1/4" in one pass so set it at max and make several.

I really think you are overworking this simple task. I managed to grow nice turf by tossing compost with my hands from a wheelbarrow and raking it out in a pinch. And you are going to be walking all over your newly prepped seedbed more than you should if you use a spreader and make multiple passes.
I think you may be right. I've never spread compost before, and I just finished bringing home 20 40-pound bags of Leafgro and have another 20 to go. It's denser and heavier than I had thought. At this point I'm going to dump a bag out every 8 feet and spread it with the back of a steel rake, then fertilize and overseed and rake lightly to cover the seed. Thanks for your advise.
Rav is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
compost, setting, spreader