Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-30-2011, 09:02 PM   #1

Share |

what ridiing lawnmower brand?

My dad recently had some lowlife sack of s#*t break into the storage shed and steal a nice swisher brushhog. So we need a mower for roads and fields and he doesnt want to leave it down there anymore.

So he's narrowed it down to either a john deere with a briggs and stratton motor or a husqavarna with a kohler engine both from either HD or lowes.

He and I know that these are'nt the best mowers but they are going to have a rough life and we just dont see the need to spent a ton of $$ for a field mower.

I'm looking for input from those who use/own or service these or similar mowers. I am most concerned with serviceablity. All input welcome

STL B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 09:06 PM   #2

Search and you will find a couple recent threads on this same topic.

I have a John Deere 110 with Kohler engine purchased from Home Depot - has worked fine for several years.

Old 06-30-2011, 10:42 PM   #3
A Little Of Everything

Quote:
Originally Posted by STL B. View Post
My dad recently had some lowlife sack of s#*t break into the storage shed and steal a nice swisher brushhog. So we need a mower for roads and fields and he doesnt want to leave it down there anymore.

So he's narrowed it down to either a john deere with a briggs and stratton motor or a husqavarna with a kohler engine both from either HD or lowes.

He and I know that these are'nt the best mowers but they are going to have a rough life and we just dont see the need to spent a ton of $$ for a field mower.

I'm looking for input from those who use/own or service these or similar mowers. I am most concerned with serviceablity. All input welcome
Are you talking about one of those Swisher Trail Mowers? When my boys & I were doing our sideline lawn mowing business, we had the 60" cut Swisher, with the 13.5 hp engine. I honestly think it was the best $1350 I ever spent on a mower.

http://www.swisherinc.com/trail_mowers.asp

After pulling that thing, and the availability of parts and ease of maintenance, I'm afraid you'll be nothing but disappointed by one of the lower-end residential lawn tractors you get from Lowes.

...and I'm saying this as an owner of a John Deere L120 - similar to the new ones you can get at the box stores.
DrHicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 11:13 PM   #4

I forgot to ad that this is for use at ground 2hrs. away to mow roads and food plots.

That's the swisher mower that those bums stole. The one my old man had threw a rod cap within the first 2hrs. of run time with the oem 13hp engine, so he went to the dealer and it was going to be two weeks or more to get the short block for warranty repair. He *****ed and moaned and ended up getting a 17hp briggs IC put on it for an extra $100 or so........it was a steal.

Anyway we used to hook it up to a rino and mow at 12mph till the A-holes stole it. Now my dad's afraid to leave a cutting deck down there for someone to steal again and it would'nt be very easy for him to load the swisher and the rino on a trailer by himself. So he just wants to have a cheap mower to drag down and abuse.
Old 06-30-2011, 11:19 PM   #5
A Little Of Everything

Quote:
Originally Posted by STL B. View Post
I forgot to ad that this is for use at ground 2hrs. away to mow roads and food plots.

That's the swisher mower that those bums stole. The one my old man had threw a rod cap within the first 2hrs. of run time with the oem 13hp engine, so he went to the dealer and it was going to be two weeks or more to get the short block for warranty repair. He *****ed and moaned and ended up getting a 17hp briggs IC put on it for an extra $100 or so........it was a steal.

Anyway we used to hook it up to a rino and mow at 12mph till the A-holes stole it. Now my dad's afraid to leave a cutting deck down there for someone to steal again and it would'nt be very easy for him to load the swisher and the rino on a trailer by himself. So he just wants to have a cheap mower to drag down and abuse.
Gotcha. And sorry to hear about all that crap!

Ours had the 13 hp (maybe 13.5?) Briggs on it. Never had a problem with it. On commercial lots, we'd offset it and pull it behind a lawn tractor, for a 9' swath. Unbelievable the amount of ground we could cover. I can only imagine what an extra 4 hp in the engine could have done.

We used it so much that we'd go through at least 2 sets of blades each year. The belts were easy to access, and spindle bearings cheap and easy to replace.

Heckuva mower. I'm surprised they don't sell more of them.
Old 07-01-2011, 12:06 AM   #6

Quote:
Heckuva mower. I'm surprised they don't sell more of them.
Yea it was a hell of a machine, It could cut 36" to 42" tall grass and weeds without bogging down. I've never known anyone who's had anything negative to say about them. The one that was stolen had maybe 20-30 hrs. on it...........MFers they should cut peoples hands off for that sh#t.
Old 07-01-2011, 12:05 PM   #7
A Little Of Everything

Hey - as I think about this a little more, I'd recommend looking through your local Craigslist listings. A lot of times you can find a used John Deere 318, or 235, etc., for less than the price of a new model at the box store.

The difference is that those older models were built a LOT heavier, and will stand up to "country mowing." I'm afraid said mowing would tear up a lighter mower pretty quickly.
Old 07-02-2011, 12:42 AM   #8

My dad has an old Case 446?? But the mice play hell with the wiring......I also feel that the tractor has earned it's retirement. I really like that ol'tractor and see myself using it for the next 50yrs, I dont want to see it get beat to death cutting 36" tall weeds..........let a pig do that.
Old 07-02-2011, 01:05 AM   #9
Household Handyman

Ask one very important question at both Lowe's or HD before buying a riding mower from them: IF this unit quits, who repairs it, where are they located, and what is the average turn-around time? Both the Lowe's and HD stores here DO NOT work on the mowers they sell. Actually the HD store ships them to Florida to a "contracted shop" via the HD big truck. A genuine nightmare. The local Lowe's store let's a contract annually to someone sort of local, but then there is always a long wait time. The local John Deere place will not work on mowers sold at apron stores, and neither will the TORO dealer.
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 02:02 PM   #10
A Little Of Everything

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thurman View Post
Ask one very important question at both Lowe's or HD before buying a riding mower from them: IF this unit quits, who repairs it, where are they located, and what is the average turn-around time? Both the Lowe's and HD stores here DO NOT work on the mowers they sell. Actually the HD store ships them to Florida to a "contracted shop" via the HD big truck. A genuine nightmare. The local Lowe's store let's a contract annually to someone sort of local, but then there is always a long wait time. The local John Deere place will not work on mowers sold at apron stores, and neither will the TORO dealer.
I don't know about Toro, but that's not true about John Deere dealers. The local John Deere dealership service department will do the work on them - including warranty work - but the "box store bought" mowers get fixed AFTER all the locally bought units.
Old 07-02-2011, 04:12 PM   #11

I bought my John Deere 110 at Home Depot. The local John Deere dealer provides prompt service - no problems whatsoever.

Tags
mowers, riding