Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-09-2013, 02:38 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

What is this on my trees?

Two of my trees have a strange growth on them, I thought it was some kind of parasite like mistletoe, but when i touch or move them, polen comes out.
None of the other trees have these growths though, so I am concerned.
First two pictures, trees with growth. Last picture, trees with no growths.
What gives?

Thanks for any help.

smithfly114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 06:21 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 640

If you know the name of your tree, google it and you will find anything that it is susceptible to, such as diseases.

Or, ask someone at a local nursery.

Startingover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 06:37 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 500

How old are these trees? Maybe they're just now starting to come into maturity and many that's how they flower. I agree that a local nursery should be able to give you a good answer.
Seattle2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 09:29 AM   #4
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

Those look to me to be the "fruits" or other reproductive output of the species and the reason you have them on some and not the others is that you have male and female trees.

This assuming they both had leaves and were healthy last year. They certainly are long overdue for a good pruning!
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 11:20 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle2k View Post
How old are these trees? Maybe they're just now starting to come into maturity and many that's how they flower. I agree that a local nursery should be able to give you a good answer.
The trees are about 5 years old.
Your idea would make sense, as I noticed these growths/flowers a little bit last year, but much more this year.
Old 04-10-2013, 11:21 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsester View Post
Those look to me to be the "fruits" or other reproductive output of the species and the reason you have them on some and not the others is that you have male and female trees.

This assuming they both had leaves and were healthy last year. They certainly are long overdue for a good pruning!
How would you recommend pruning them?
I was under the impression that they are a bit small for a major pruning.
Old 04-10-2013, 11:41 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 500

Again, your local nursery can advise how to properly prune them. But, are those trees your responsibility or the city's?
Seattle2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 11:42 AM   #8

They are my responsibility.
Old 04-10-2013, 02:36 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 250

Neighbor has the same tree,,,,its just the pollen clusters that will soon drop and the tree will start growing leaves again. Its normal!!!!
pwgsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 03:37 PM   #10
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

Your library will have a pruning guide or a book you can get to show you how. You may want to invest in one from your local nursery. It is out of print I believe but if you can find a copy of "How to Print Almost Everything" you will have spent money wisely. It is a great general guide that was published by Morrow. Your city arborist probably publishes specific guides and will also help you with any species specific concerns.

It is never too soon to prune a tree and in fact when I planted them in landscapes in California it was the very second thing thing I did after planting and watering the first time! Immediate post-planting pruning reduces the amount of leafy growth the transplated tree has to support and allows it to dedicate more to establishing roots.

Pruning early in the life of a tree allows you to correct things like water shoots, dangerous crotches in branches, inward growing branches that cross each other and other things you can handle know with hand pruners, loppers and maybe a pruning pole and not a chainsaw.

Early pruning also lets you establish the future shape of the tree (to a point), contain its tendancy to want to put all energy into upward and lateral growth that ends up producing "lanky" branches too heavy for it at this point. It also lets you take some of the sail effect out of the tree so it grows straighter and will be more resistant to wind damage later on.

Bottom line is if you prune the tree will be healthier. Pruning forces energy in to forming strong roots and branches. Fall, when it was dormant would have been better but you will still help it now, perhaps a bit less severly, now before it leafs out. In some climates you want to wait until spring so you can cut out any frost damage.

Follow with a balance fertilizer in the form of tree spikes, tree pellets or save some moola, get a soil auger, and more the recommended amount of a granulated food into the auger holes. Water deeply and infrequently.

Nice to see males and females were planted. Hopefully a diversity of species was planted along your street too.

Last edited by user1007; 04-10-2013 at 03:44 PM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 12:42 PM   #11

Thanks for the great information!