Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-08-2008, 01:47 PM   #1
Git

Share |

What kind of weed is this and how do I get rid of it?

Hello

We have this weed growing up between our pavers and it is also starting to get into the grass. Does anyone know what it is and the best way to get rid of it? I would imagine some generic weed killer would work on the concrete areas but what about the grass? We are in SoCal
Attached Thumbnails
What kind of weed is this and how do I get rid of it?-weed2.jpg   What kind of weed is this and how do I get rid of it?-weed1.jpg  
Git is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 02:23 PM   #2

looks a bit like purslane. You can look up different weeds and treatment of them at www.weedalert.com
darlenep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 02:25 PM   #3

Don't know what it is Git, but I've got it too. Everywhere. Lawn, flowerbeds, and it grows fast.

I just hit it last week with Ortho weed killer (the "kills weeds, not lawns" kind) and it died after 2 applications. No damage to the grass.

First I tried pulling them, but they have a long tap root that doesn't come out unless you dig deep. They take about 1 week to come back -- bigger and with more attitude.

Good luck
large is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 03:05 PM   #4

It is a native purslane. It is only a weed if it is growing where you don't want it to.
Old 08-08-2008, 03:14 PM   #5
Git

Well, I think I have Id'd it - I was on hold while taking with AT&T about new internet service (Time Warner Cable has not been working well lately) and I found a good site with pictures at UC Davis

It looks like it is Spotted Surge:

more can be found here:

Spotted Spurge
Git is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 04:10 PM   #6
BUILDER / REMODELING CONT

we have it here on long island also, Would like to get rid of it along with the clover. so much for mulching when cutting the grass it seems as tho mulching breeds more weeds???. going back to bagging. BOB
buletbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 02:03 PM   #7
Don't know it all, yet!

Spotted spurge. See the little spots on the leaves? Has a milky sap probably. Does look a lot like purslane but the spurge has more room on the stem between the leaf nodes whereas purslane, aka portulaca, is usually a little tighter mat. Also, the purslane usually has lots of small yellow flowers about the size of a quarter.

They are fairly easy to pull, especially after a rain when the soil is moist and soft. You just have to be as persistant as they are-like weekly.
Old 08-12-2008, 08:15 AM   #8

I usually try and talk to these guys if I get really stuck with weeds: http://www.ecocontrol.co.uk/

Last edited by cbosleeds; 08-12-2008 at 08:15 AM. Reason: spelling
cbosleeds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 11:51 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by downunder View Post
They are fairly easy to pull, especially after a rain when the soil is moist and soft. You just have to be as persistant as they are-like weekly.
Just got back in the house from pulling another bucket full of these babies. Then, I got out the weed-b-gon and executed the rest.

Yes, they are easy to pull. You can even just scrape your foot across them and they pop up. BUT ... that's because they're smart little dudes. They're coming back in a week because you're not getting that long ugly tap root that they've planted for themselves. If you don't dig that up, they're back in a week. I think they seed like crazy, too. It's a never-ending battle. They should call it spotted "scourge".
large is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 04:03 PM   #10
I love Greenery!!!

Location: Rather not say?but you can ask and i might tell you.

I used vinegar to kill it without hurting the environment... thats just a thought...

Barbara
barbarajenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 06:28 PM   #11
Don't know it all, yet!

Sorry I forgot to mention this earlier, but a pre-emergent works fairly well on this.

Quote:
They're coming back in a week because you're not getting that long ugly tap root that they've planted for themselves.
As is true with any weed with a taproot, such as dandelions. You MUST get that taproot.

Last edited by downunder; 08-14-2008 at 06:29 PM. Reason: Addition
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote