What To Install First: 8x8 Post OR Paver Area - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-18-2011, 04:21 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

What to install first: 8x8 post OR paver area

Hello everyone,
I live in North Texas and am looking for a few recommendations. Here's the scenario:
I've got plans/instructions to install an attached arbor as well as a paver area underneath. Since the 8x8 cedar posts will not be anchored on the pavers I've got to dig the holes to set my concrete pillar anchor. I'm thinking that the pillar anchor holes will be right outside my paver area. The paver area already has a gradual slope so Im not sure if I need a retaining wall or fortification. Here's my questions:

1. Do you agree that digging holes around a level paver area could cause issues like making it more likely to erode?
2. Do you think laying the posts first and then the pavers around the post is the smart way togo?
3. Do you prefer to lay posts in concrete or anchor them to a concrete pillar? If concrete pillar, what are your steps todo this?
4. At what degree of slope does one determine that a retaining wall or fortification is needed to hold the pavers up?

Thanks for your help
Chris

Advertisement

cgilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 07:21 PM   #2
Stay-at-home GC

Rewards Points: 500

What to install first: 8x8 post OR paver area

I would set your footer piers first. At the very least, you'll be less likely to track mud over your clean pavers.

Dig your footer piers down below your local frost line. Not really necessary to use sono-tube forms for a small structure. I would set the posts on top of the piers using Simpson product.

Make sure you slope your patio away from existing foundation 1/4"/foot.

Advertisement

Some days, my Life needs a Rewind/Erase Button.
CplDevilDog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pergola