DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

What is this fuzzy plant?

54K views 28 replies 16 participants last post by  chandler48 
#1 ·
Any idea what this plant could be? I'm in southern Ohio. I did not plant it. It just appeared early last year. It's 21 inches across and feels soft and fuzzy. And it looked like this pretty much even during the wintertime.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
It didn't flower last year (but maybe that's because it was a young plant). Is it a weed? Or is it an actual plant that people buy? Anyway, I like it, so I'll keep it there. It's in a spot along the walkway to the front door that has mostly shade throughout the day. But it's survived this long, so I guess it likes the shade.

#5 ·
Is it a weed? Or is it an actual plant that people buy?
One person's plant is another person's weed.

By definision, a weed is "an undesirable plant growing wild", especially if the plant is a disadvantaged (compeditor) to a crop, lawn, or flower bed you are trying to grow.

So proofer, if you want the plant, then by definision, it is no longer a weed. Your neibor might disagree...

#9 ·
That would be okay with me. I would place them in the areas where blight or mites have killed so many of my expensive ornamental spiral and poodle juniper plants! As each of them die out, I'd be crazy to replace them with another expensive ornamental plant.

#17 · (Edited)
UPDATE: I wanted to get rid of the darn thing because it turned into something completely different other than the little cute fuzzy plant that it once was. Take a look at it now. It's over 40 inches tall and still growing! Now I won't get rid of it because I'm interested in seeing what it's turning into!

Attachments

#21 ·
Holy KaMoleeee! Your first photo was on 4-05 of the nice looking little plant. Then you posted a photo just today (photo yesterday?) of something that does indeed look like an Alien Invader type thingy. I was going to comment on allowing honey bees to use this plant because I believe honey bees are very valuable for plant propagation. BUT--I now say- -Enough! Stop this foreign intruder! :eek:
Maybe next week you could climb it to get the Golden Egg or the Magic Harp. :thumbup:
It's your plant, do what you wish with it. David

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.