Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-30-2010, 08:33 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75
Unhappy

What is doing this to my hedges?

I have planted two different types of cherry bushes along my back yard, trying to create a wall to cover the neighbors fence. Problem is half the bushes are dying, even shrinking. Some have brown spots and leaves falling off, others are loosing all color in the leaves and a few are healthy as can be. How do I fix this, so all are growing strong and well? Thank you.

First pic is one of the healthiest ones, the second used to look like the first a month ago, and the rest are other bushes showing the issues.

Erik
Attached Thumbnails
What is doing this to my hedges?-cherry1h.jpg   What is doing this to my hedges?-cherry2.jpg   What is doing this to my hedges?-cherry3.jpg   What is doing this to my hedges?-cherry4.jpg   What is doing this to my hedges?-cherry5.jpg  

jstcruzin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 04:51 AM   #2
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2,086

Dry? It looks llike.

chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 07:45 AM   #3

They all get the same amount of water, why would some be dry and others not be?
Old 07-01-2010, 09:06 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 250

Cherry (and all stone fruits) are very susceptible to a huge number of diseases and fungi. You will have to watch them pretty closely. If it is a fungus there are a number of fungicides you can use but I wouldn't eat the fruit for a while after use. Cornell's ag extension has a good write up: http://www.nysaes.cornell.edu/pp/ext...e.shtml#cherry
cellophane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 03:10 PM   #5

I watered them this morning and little more this afternoon, we'll see if that helps. It hasn't been raining too much, and it is supposed to be the rainy season down here! Cellophane thanks for those links. I checked all of them. Most arent there any more. The ones that did work, were informative, but nothing that seems to be my issue.

Is there a good fertilizer I can use to help bring them back, or overall spray that takes care of a wide range of fungus/pest I can use to prevent these and take care of what I have?

Last edited by jstcruzin; 07-01-2010 at 03:15 PM.
Old 07-05-2010, 12:36 PM   #6
DIY'er

Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstcruzin View Post
I watered them this morning and little more this afternoon, we'll see if that helps. It hasn't been raining too much, and it is supposed to be the rainy season down here! Cellophane thanks for those links. I checked all of them. Most arent there any more. The ones that did work, were informative, but nothing that seems to be my issue.

Is there a good fertilizer I can use to help bring them back, or overall spray that takes care of a wide range of fungus/pest I can use to prevent these and take care of what I have?
It is best to only fertilize healthy plants, imo. Sick plants often can't handle the push from synthetic fertilizers and the fertilizer is the last nail in the coffin.

You may just have a watering issue. One plant may have a more developed root system than the others and be able to tolerate more drought.

What kind of soil do you have? Sandy, Clay, loamy?

Dig a couple inches down next to one of the plants and see if it is wet or dry.

Jamie
jamiedolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 03:02 PM   #7

Well there is no way to tell if it was dry now. It has been raining down here for 3 days straight. If it was a water issue I should see them perking up soon!!

I have good soil for about a foot to a foot and a half down then it becomes rocky and sandy. I asked at lowes today and was direct to a 10-2-8 tree and shrub fertilizer...I also read somewhere else yesterday that a fertilzer for Azalea, Camellia and Rhododendrons made by Vigora(sold at home depot), which is a 10-8-8. The package read also good for acid loving plants which cherry hedges are if i'm not mistaken. Thoughts on either of these? I guess the only difference is the amount of Nitrogen in them, right?
Old 07-05-2010, 03:38 PM   #8
DIY'er

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstcruzin View Post
Well there is no way to tell if it was dry now. It has been raining down here for 3 days straight. If it was a water issue I should see them perking up soon!!

I have good soil for about a foot to a foot and a half down then it becomes rocky and sandy. I asked at lowes today and was direct to a 10-2-8 tree and shrub fertilizer...I also read somewhere else yesterday that a fertilzer for Azalea, Camellia and Rhododendrons made by Vigora(sold at home depot), which is a 10-8-8. The package read also good for acid loving plants which cherry hedges are if i'm not mistaken. Thoughts on either of these? I guess the only difference is the amount of Nitrogen in them, right?
How long have these been planted for?

If a plant has been very stressed and starts to die, it may not be able to take up the water anymore, even with lots of rain.

On the couple that look pretty bad, you could try the 10-8-8, the acidifying is fine. You don't really have much to lose on those, esp the last one, I am not sure it will make it.

Do they all have mulch around them?

While they are drought tolerant once established, if this was their first year, then they have not had time to establish a large enough root system to sustain them in a drought situation.

There are several diseases that attack this plant, I am not familiar enough with how they would look on this to tell you if they are involved. I would suspect that they would have hit all of your plants, and not just some, but not necessarily.

The fertilizer numbers are Nitrogen, Phosphorous, and Potassium, respectively.

Nitrogen forces top growth and foliage, which can stress an already stressed plant. Phosphorous stimulates root growth, and in general adding phosphorous is much safer for a sick plant.

You could also try some liquid miracle grow. They make a box called Miracaid for acid loving plants, you have to get it at a place like a plant store or hardware store, generally not the big box stores.

Miracaid will work very quickly if it is going to work, if the area is well watered, and you apply a dose of miracaid, if it is going to help, you will often see improvement overnight.

I would not spray them without being able to get a better idea of what might be causing the problem. Bringing a branch to a local nursery in your area might be helpful (preferable someone that actually grows plants and not just sells them) and see if they are able to identify what is going on. You also likely have a county extension office that would look at it and help you for free. The county extension office often runs a master gardener program that has local volunteers that help with these kind of problems.

Jamie
Old 07-05-2010, 06:18 PM   #9

fish emulsion has been doing well for me as a fertilizer. although - it stinks like.. well.. old fish.
Old 07-05-2010, 06:25 PM   #10
DIY'er

Quote:
Originally Posted by cellophane View Post
fish emulsion has been doing well for me as a fertilizer. although - it stinks like.. well.. old fish.
Most Fish Emulsion mixes I have seen have been pretty low nitrogen and would be pretty safe. The ones I have seen have been very costly for large scale applications.

Jamie
Old 07-05-2010, 08:20 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 131

Weird question but how is your relationship with the neighbor? Sometimes "friendly" neighbors can spray weed killer. Probably not the case but you never know.

Frank Lardino
FrankL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 08:31 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiedolan View Post
Most Fish Emulsion mixes I have seen have been pretty low nitrogen and would be pretty safe. The ones I have seen have been very costly for large scale applications.

Jamie
I've never priced it like that so I don't really know. I mix about a tablespoon in my watering can (1-2 gal) and water with the mix about once a month and try to hit the root areas directly. It can be sprayed but I don't know if I could handle the odor...

You could also make your own, but the nutrient ratios would be harder to control.
Old 07-07-2010, 03:58 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 25

Where do you live and when did you plant them? Were they all planted at the same time? May have been too late for them to establish roots before dry hot weather came on and they heat stressed. Water may not be penetrating the surface as well as it could. Try adding a tablespoon dish washing soap to a couple gallons of water, spray through a hose end sprayer around base. Can also be used to wash dust and grime off plant leaves. Google soil surface tension for more info on easy ways to improve without harsh chemicals or overfertilizing. Check out Jerry Baker books in your local library, an old school style gardener with some cheap common sense solutions Good luck..

AvalonGirl is offline   Reply With Quote