Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-20-2006, 02:44 PM   #1

Share |
Question

What do you do on 3.3 acreas?

This is my first country living. We have 1500 sq.ft. of foundation and the rest are just land. What do you do?

I'm use to small areas. My "country" (or he thinks he is) said grass is fine. I don't want just grass. There are trees surrounding the property but very little on the property and these trees are just in one little area. Half the property was wheat, that got chopped by the original owner just a couple weeks ago. I was told it just need to be mowed and tilled before putting grass, really?

I guess I can put grass. I called the hydroseed guy and the price was wow... it addes up even at a few cents.

I know I want a small veggie garden. Then a small play area for our daughter (swing set in there with maybe a sandbox and a room for a mid-size blowup pool). I also like the "natural" kind of landscaping outside of the veggie garen. Using local plants and just let them go in an organized fashion.

I really don't know and a pro is not in our budget right now even though I prefer one. Need ideas. Thanks!
putri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 07:20 PM   #2

Deal with a small portion at a time and work your way out. Do you want fruit trees, flowering trees or just green stuff? Do you like gardening or just want it to look nice? Where are you located?
irlizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 03:55 PM   #3

It sounds like you have more ground than you need right now. Depending on where you live that could be okay though. If the ground has been producing wheat it must have irrigation. I would suggest either renting it out to someone who could use it for raising hay or grain or someone who could graze cattle or horses on it. It would then be used and you could have a small income off it. If you prefer to use it yourself consider planting berries or fruit trees for a pick-it-yourself income.
dwayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 11:21 PM   #4

buy a couple of goats and let them keep it down - oops no trees left
lxdollarsxl is offline   Reply With Quote