What To Do With My Lawn? - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-28-2012, 04:27 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

What to do with my Lawn?

Hey so I am a fairly new home owner this will be my second summer with a lawn Im from Kitchener ontario Canada and we can get some varied weather conditions. the summers can get to be around 40 degrees celsius. Last summer our lawn completly died due to a steady 2 weeks with no rain and 30 degree temps...

I think we have to redo our lawn completly I just dont know how? i include a picture of what the lawn currently looks like....

should i just rototiller is then lay new seed? what kind of grass would you all recommend? is it to early or too late to start now? http://www.theweathernetwork.com/fourteenday/caon0356 here is the 14 day forecast for my area? please help any advice would be appreciated!
Attached Thumbnails
What to do with my Lawn?-imag0131.jpg  

Advertisement

Dano85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 04:55 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 592

What to do with my Lawn?

Having a dog with a small yard will be tough to get anything to grow. I too have a boxer and she can be painful to watch as she tears up parts of my yard. Do you need grass? You could hardscape it with rocks and plants if you didn't need grass.

If you want grass, I'd look for something that is high traffic and durable. Go to your local hardware or big box store and look at what is available. I would think you'd be fine on planting grass now. Just keep it watered for the first couple of weeks. You'll need to till up or rake up the dead stuff first.

Advertisement

cibula11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 04:56 PM   #3
It's always something

Rewards Points: 150

What to do with my Lawn?

Is that where your dog lives? If so, no matter what you do, the grass won't survive. Other than that, I'd recommend having the soil analyzed first and foremost to know what your soil needs and what the ph level is. It never hurts to aerate either maybe some de-thatching. I'm from the southeast usa so I'm not familiar at all with your location but those are some general guidelines I think would help
SingleGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 05:03 PM   #4
A Little Of Everything

Rewards Points: 1,098

What to do with my Lawn?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingleGuy View Post
Is that where your dog lives? If so, no matter what you do, the grass won't survive. Other than that, I'd recommend having the soil analyzed first and foremost to know what your soil needs and what the ph level is. It never hurts to aerate either maybe some de-thatching. I'm from the southeast usa so I'm not familiar at all with your location but those are some general guidelines I think would help
Exactly. There is no grass that can survive a dog in a confined area.

That said, this looks to be a fairly easy re-seeding, providing the dog isn't in there. Rake it with a yard rake, sow seed, rake in the seed, then water it twice daily until the seed germinates. After that, water it once per day.
DrHicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 05:43 PM   #5
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

What to do with my Lawn?

I don't think you will get away with overseeding this situation. Especially if the dog has been running and compacting the soil while trampling the turf. You will have to till it and do proper soil preparation.

I agree that if it is a dog play area? Think about some landscaping alternatives. Rubber pavers (come in all sizes, colors and configurations) and dogs seem to get along well with animals (they are very popular around high end horse race tracks and look gorgeous). Don't get crappy box store ones though. Plant around the pavers. Hardscaping elements can work too but are harder on paws and not as easy to maintain or replace.

If you are going to try to overseed, now is a great time. You are beyond danger of ground freezing and one hopes frost. Even if it frosts, you can get water on it in a hurry to raise the temp in the morning before damage is done. And you should be able to buy really fresh, bulk seed from your local nursery or hardware store this time of year. You can make whatever blend you think might work.

Do note not all turfgrass seeds germinate at the same rate. Annual rye will emerge in 5-7 days, perennial rye in 7-10 and things like fescue and bluegrass may take 14-21 or longer. All seed needs to be kept moist to germinate and get a good start. Again, I don't think you are going to accomplish much just raking, overseeding and top dressing. And you know, that narrow space looks like a pain to mow even if things worked out miraculously?
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 01:57 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 10

What to do with my Lawn?

Only option is not to let dog on it as other have stated.
Okami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 06:48 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,000

What to do with my Lawn?

Too early in our area to overseed. The birds will just get them. You need temps in the 15 degree range for germination. Weather for Friday March 30....3cm of f...ing snow

Your neighbours all had those same conditions last summer and I'll bet only a few were out watering, but all the lawns came back didn't they?

As long as the dog has high energy he will be tearing up the grass. You might consider sod for instant lawn if you can find any yet

Advertisement

Last edited by creeper; 03-30-2012 at 07:24 AM.
creeper is offline   Reply With Quote