Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-11-2008, 12:51 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Weeds are taking over...help

When I first bought this house a little over a year ago I had a few weeds but no big deal...one year later now I have about 5-8 different weeds that are taking over my lawn. I have either bermuda or st.augestine grass (not sure which they look the same to me). I was looking at a weed and feed but after reading a lot of the posts here I agree it seems stupid to feed the lawn and weeds and try and kill the weeds at the same time. I was at home depot looking at the different sprays that hook up to a hose that are weed killers but dont kill the grass. Or is it better to buy something that goes into a spreader and needs to be watered in. Its been raining a lot lately here in south florida, its that time of year, so what do you all think is my best option. Let me know and I can take pictures of the weeds as I have no clue what they are, just know I have a variety of them and they need to go. All but one have leaves of some sort and the other looks like hay of some sort with star like seeds at the top, almost like a firework. Thanks for all your help in advance and look forward to all you input...

jstcruzin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 06:26 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstcruzin View Post
When I first bought this house a little over a year ago I had a few weeds but no big deal...one year later now I have about 5-8 different weeds that are taking over my lawn. I have either bermuda or st.augestine grass (not sure which they look the same to me). I was looking at a weed and feed but after reading a lot of the posts here I agree it seems stupid to feed the lawn and weeds and try and kill the weeds at the same time. I was at home depot looking at the different sprays that hook up to a hose that are weed killers but dont kill the grass. Or is it better to buy something that goes into a spreader and needs to be watered in. Its been raining a lot lately here in south florida, its that time of year, so what do you all think is my best option. Let me know and I can take pictures of the weeds as I have no clue what they are, just know I have a variety of them and they need to go. All but one have leaves of some sort and the other looks like hay of some sort with star like seeds at the top, almost like a firework. Thanks for all your help in advance and look forward to all you input...
Rent a sod cutter, remove all of that mess, put down some good top soil/compost/lime, and then seed or lay down good sod.

handy man88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 07:23 PM   #3

If you go with a weed killer don't do broadcast spraying. Use a small sprayer and spray only the weeds.

Weed killer is supposed to kill only weeds but it can harm other plants that you want to keep around.

You are correct in that weed and feed is a joke. Don't go that route.
Old 10-11-2008, 07:32 PM   #4

you could also sterilize your soil by covering large portions of the affected area with clear plastic and letting the sun cook the seeds, weed, and (unfortunately) the grass.

Last edited by AtlanticWBConst.; 11-09-2008 at 09:20 AM. Reason: SITE RULES VIOLATION: Advertising Links Removed from Signature
AustinREDevelop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 09:26 PM   #5

Thank you for the suggestions. The first option handyman, isnt an option for me it would be way to expensive for me right now. I would like to use some sort of weed killer I just dont know which one or method of application works best? Any brand or chemical better than another? Also is there a way to thicken the grass to help "drown" out the weeds? Thanks everyone...I'm new to the lawn care thing
Old 10-12-2008, 08:30 AM   #6

Well, it's a bit, IMO, like asking: "what medication should I take?" or "what colour should I have?" (as a poster just asked here) or even "what car should I buy?"...Depends.

Up here, our weed-killing efforts are regulated by the municipality and therefore the kinds of weedkillers are limited. Secondly, it depends what weeds you have...as not all are treated the same nor with the same chemical. Third, I guess it depends on the level of 'infestation' you have...a few dandelions here and there - or extensive crabgrass choking out the regular grass.

In severely-regulated communities, a healthy grass is the best and maybe only alternative to fighting weeds. That and a manual elimination one-by-one. In other communities, a weed-by-weed spray bottle is enough but there is no point IMO to use a shotgun approach to kill everything as the grass will probably suffer too.

Best thing? Take a picture and show us what you have - or look it up
“The average American woman is about 25 pounds heavier than she was in 1960...Recognizing obesity as a disease will help change the way the medical community tackles this complex issue that affects approximately 1 in 3 Americans,”
ccarlisle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 01:08 PM   #7
Don't know it all, yet!

jstcruzin,
Could you give us an idea as to how large an area your lawn is and how many weeds you have?

Quote:
the other looks like hay of some sort with star like seeds at the top, almost like a firework.
Sounds like maybe nutsedge if it's only about a foot tall. Or, maybe crabgrass.

Quote:
it seems stupid to feed the lawn and weeds and try and kill the weeds at the same time.
Not necessarily. That is true with a granular but not so with a liquid. But, they are two different treatments. Read the label- plants need to be growing in order to take up and process the [fertilizer, herbicide, whatever!]. Label says do not apply when plants are under stress. I asked a biology professor once about taking vitamins- morning or night? He told me that you have to metabolize them to use them. Do you metabolize much at night while you are asleep? No, but maybe a bad example. How about right after a hard ballgame, when you are dehydrated. Do you go out to a buffet right after the game? As I said above, plants will use the [...] when they are actively growing and not stressed.

That said, granulars (herbicides) for this purpose need to be applied to wet foilage and NOT watered afterwards. The herbicide needs time to melt and be absorbed into the leave structure. You will see those instructions if you read the label. Fertilizer label says to apply to dry foliage. Wet leaves will cause the fertilizer to burn, whether it's grass, shrubs, whatever. See a contradiction there? Dry for one, wet for the other. With liquids, you don't have that problem. Not to mention you get better coverage (IMO) with the liquids. I would guess from your information so far that you need a broadleaf herbicide but not positive without further info.

If you need to use herbicide for weeds, use herbicide.
If you need to fertilize, then fertilize.
If you need both at the same time, then do both.

Your local extension office can identify you lawn and the weeds.

If you want to through the baby out with the bathwater, then spend several hundred/thousand dollars then start all over and sterilize, solarize, cut everything off, re-sod.

Or, selectively spray what you have with the proper herbicide, follow up with a pre-emergent herbicide, and irrigate and fertilize on a proper schedule.

Worked for me for forty years. University of Georgia agrees.

Georgia Certified Landscape Professional
Old 10-12-2008, 05:06 PM   #8

I went out and pulled a bunch of the weeds and I am trying to figure out exactly what they are, but havent had much luck finding good resourses to ID them. One looks very similar to yellow nutsedge. I have one the is like a vine, looks kinda like common chickweed or knotweed another looks to be prostate spurg. There are three or four more I havent found but i'm working on it. The weeds are all in the back yard and starting to go around the sides and to the front which I want to avoid. I would say the area infected by weeds is around 3000 sq feet

I know this sounds like a lot of work but i'm willing to put in the time to do it if it would work and save the money ripping it all up and starting over...going out and pulling up all the weeds I can find and then using a weed and feed to cover my tracks and thicken up the lawn a bit. The grass is healthy that I have just not as thick i'm guessing. Maybe even put down some seed too if it would help. What do you guys think?
Old 10-12-2008, 05:12 PM   #9

another one is henbit...
Old 10-12-2008, 05:56 PM   #10

Weed killer. Spray each weed that you see. Keep on it till they are gone.

Doesn't matter what they are.

Just kill em.
Old 10-12-2008, 09:31 PM   #11

Marvin Gardens, do you recommend any weed killers? Brand? type? thanks
Old 10-12-2008, 10:29 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstcruzin View Post
Marvin Gardens, do you recommend any weed killers? Brand? type? thanks
Just ask at the local store. They can tell you which one works for your area.

Most weed killers use the same active ingredients since they are controlled by the feds.

It's important to understand how to use it so read the directions carefully.

Get a small sprayer, mix your poison, pump it up and spray your weeds.

Some will die in a few days and others will take a week. Repeat in a week and keep on it till they are all dead.
Old 10-13-2008, 12:55 PM   #13

Image is a good weed killer.. I think Lowe's carries it.
martyshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 04:49 PM   #14
Don't know it all, yet!

Quote:
Image is a good weed killer.. I think Lowe's carries it.
Costs about four times as much as others. Its main benefit is on nutsedge in lawns. If you don't have much of that, any common broadleaf weed killer will work fine for much cheaper. Be persistant as already mentioned.
A good dose of pre-emergent NOW and again first two weeks of February will prevent most of this next year.
Old 10-13-2008, 05:03 PM   #15

The key to applying weed killer is to keep the spray to the weed. Weed killer can kill tomato plants and many other "good" plants so be careful where the spray goes.