Weeds In The Gravel - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-11-2012, 02:50 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Weeds in the Gravel

Our back lawn is surrounded by gravel. When we bought the house, it looked really good, and we thought we could keep up with pulling out the weeds. Problem is, the weeds grow faster than my wife and I can pull. In addition to weeds, there is a large amount of grass that is also starting to pop through. Also, despite our best efforts to not pull up the landscaping fabric, we have. This area used to look great and is now looking somewhat post-apocalyptic surrounding a well-trimmed lawn.

At this point, I am looking towards chemicals, but I'm worried about my dog, as she is out there every day sniffing around. She also eats in the yard.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Advertisement

tcharleschapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 02:57 PM   #2
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

Weeds in the Gravel

A tank sprayer and careful and targeted use of Roundup, a post-emergent systemic herbicide, is probably your best bet but you will have to keep the dog from chewing on it or he/she could get sick. Roundup will kill just about anything the spray reaches in cocentration but will not hurt surrounding plants if you are careful to control it.

A seasonal application of a pre-emergent granular herbicide like Preen shoud keep most weed seeds from sprounting. It will not hurt established plants either.

With any herbicide or other lawn and garden chemicals, please apply only to the amount and extent directed on the label. More serves no purpose you have in mind and can harm the environment.

If weeds are so invasive even with landscape cloth down? The landscape cloth is probably disintegrating through no fault of yours.

By the way, you might want to update your profile so we know where you are. No reason to lay down Preen this time of year where I am, for example.

Advertisement

Last edited by user1007; 11-11-2012 at 03:01 PM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 04:53 PM   #3

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074
Rewards Points: 2,144

Weeds in the Gravel

In addition to the previous reply, the fabric does little to eliminate weed since most are air borne and are deposited in the gravel to germinate when moisture is available.

Be especial careful with Roundup because it is very strong and efficient and even the over-spray from a tank can be a disaster if there is even a breeze. You will find out much later if you were careless.

Dick
concretemasonry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 02:27 PM   #4

Weeds in the Gravel

I have heard of laying down black plastic. Any input on this?
tcharleschapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 06:01 PM   #5
Master General ReEngineer

Rewards Points: 2,294

Weeds in the Gravel

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcharleschapman View Post
I have heard of laying down black plastic. Any input on this?
Ayuh,... It still only S l o w s the process....

Like Dick says, the weed seeds blow in, 'n grow anyways...
Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 08:15 PM   #6
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

Weeds in the Gravel

Worked as a landsacpe designer for quite awhile and longer ago than I wish to think about. There were arguments then about whether to lay down plastic or landscape fabric that are more or less the same today. They stuff does come in different grades but degrades over time. As mentioned, it may buy you some time but also as mentioned, the seeds blow in and take hold on top of it.

I will say that until it starts breaking down, the barrier it provides to keep your gravel or stone from getting worked into the soil makes it worth considering. I guess.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 08:27 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 686

Weeds in the Gravel

I use this once a year and never have the weeds or grass grow back.
http://www.keystonepestsolutions.com...allon-195.html
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 03:53 PM   #8

Weeds in the Gravel

Membrane sheet is what you need. Remove the gravel then lay the membrane then gravel on top. Look here:

http://www.fenceinstallationnorthlon...en-greenfellas
dave19london is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 03:58 PM   #9
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 2,642

Weeds in the Gravel

Plastic can actually create more problems than it solves.....

While it may prevent some weeds and grass from coming up....it also does not let water drain properly....this alone can cause lots of issues....summertime it give masquetos a place to hatch....and it can really start to smell from being wet all the time.....

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 10:37 PM   #10

Weeds in the Gravel

I've killed weeds with regular household white vinegar before, I hear you could dilute it quit a bit but I was lazy and poured it straight on and it was dead the next day. For a larger area, I'd probably dilute it so save money. A quick google search could probably get you a good ratio for diluting. I hear hydrogen peroxide diluted works too. Also, I think I read somewhere once that nothing will grow through salt? Oh, I've also killed weeds with baking soda if I remember correctly.

Advertisement

ashleyamazi is offline   Reply With Quote