Weeds And Grass - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-19-2011, 12:41 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

weeds and Grass

I actually have 2 questions.

1.I have identified that I have a vast amount of nutsedge growing and cannot seem to get rid of it with weed control products. Can anyone recommend something.

2. I am reseeding another part of my lawn and looking for some brand recommendations of grass seed. I live in the North east

thanks

Tony D

Advertisement

TonyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 06:11 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 266

weeds and Grass

for your second point, go to your state university's agricultural extension and they usually will have a few recommendations regarding which grass is best for your state and a local garden center should carry a mix of those that are recommended. Or you can just go straight to a local garden center.

Advertisement

MLMIB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 10:10 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 75

weeds and Grass

Thanks for the reply.....
TonyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 10:49 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 266

weeds and Grass

so the cool season types of grass are...

kentucky blue grass, nice grass, spreads on it's own so it's nice since you don't need to overseed. mostly good in sun, some cultivars can handle shade well
tall fescue, nice sun grass, doesn't spread on it's own without going to seed so you will probably want to overseed once. This is the type I'm using over blue grass
fine fescue, a nice shade grass.

Those are the three, I imagine home depot knows better then to buy the warm season grasses in your area. you don't want perennial since they'll only last this season.

for the weed, it seems like it's a devil of a weed that is only really good to combat when it's young. So I'd either try to dig out the area's if you can and it's reasonable or try to apply pre-emergiants in the spring and see if you can stop it before the growing season starts.

Hope that helps more.
MLMIB is offline   Reply With Quote