Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-03-2011, 12:21 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Weeds

M a new homeowner never had a lawn moved in my home (dfw, tx) lawn was kinda brown drought and all , but now fall it's green with weeds, do I leave em till spring or try to poison them thru out the fall and winter

Jamntx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 10:14 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 568

Weeds

You didn't say where you're located but if you're in and one of the northern climate areas where lawns basically go dormant in the winter you're better off waiting until spring. Weed killers really don't work very well unless what you're trying to kill is growing vigorously. It wouldn't hurt anything to try spraying them now but it probably won't do much good.

Msradell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 10:21 PM   #3

Weeds

I'm in Texas Dallas forth worth area, guess ill just wait till spring
Old 12-03-2011, 10:40 PM   #4
A Little Of Everything

Rewards Points: 1,068

Weeds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamntx View Post
M a new homeowner never had a lawn moved in my home (dfw, tx) lawn was kinda brown drought and all , but now fall it's green with weeds, do I leave em till spring or try to poison them thru out the fall and winter
Spray it now with 2,4-D (lots of brand names, but look for that specific ingredient). Fall is when plants are really soaking up nourishment for the winter months that lie ahead. It's a good time to kill weeds.
DrHicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 06:56 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 258

Weeds

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrHicks View Post
Spray it now with 2,4-D (lots of brand names, but look for that specific ingredient). Fall is when plants are really soaking up nourishment for the winter months that lie ahead. It's a good time to kill weeds.
you should only spray with 2,4-D if you don't want anything thats currently on the lawn or if you plan on starting from scratch. 2,4-D will kill everything. If it's more than 50% grass you can try to save it. Take a picture and I'm sure some people here will be able to help identify it but a broad leaf herbicide should be a good first step.
MLMIB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 10:37 PM   #6
A Little Of Everything

Weeds

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLMIB View Post
you should only spray with 2,4-D if you don't want anything thats currently on the lawn or if you plan on starting from scratch. 2,4-D will kill everything. If it's more than 50% grass you can try to save it. Take a picture and I'm sure some people here will be able to help identify it but a broad leaf herbicide should be a good first step.
You're thinking of RoundUp, not 2,4-D. 2,4-D only kills broadleaf weeds.
Old 12-04-2011, 10:48 PM   #7

Weeds

Will post pic tomor raining like cray here in Texas today
Old 12-04-2011, 11:15 PM   #8
A Little Of Everything

Weeds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamntx View Post
Will post pic tomor raining like cray here in Texas today
We really don't really need pictures. You know the difference between grass and broad-leaf weeds. If you have broad-leaf weeds you want to kill, a product with 2,4-D in it will kill them but will NOT kill the grass.

The only thing you really need to be careful about is NOT spraying 2,4-D on flowerbeds & areas like that.
Old 12-05-2011, 01:32 PM   #9

Weeds

Thank you Drhicks , will do. Thanks everyone
Old 12-05-2011, 06:51 PM   #10

Weeds

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrHicks View Post
You're thinking of RoundUp, not 2,4-D. 2,4-D only kills broadleaf weeds.
yup, my bad.

the only reason I say to post pictures is some weeds 2,4-D won't kill. I sprayed 2,4-D than round up after most of my weeds didn't die. Turns out I had a lot of japanese stilt grass which needs round up to kill and wild violets, which I'm still fighting with a special chemical that is more targeted to kill them.
Old 12-06-2011, 03:38 AM   #11
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2,088

Weeds

[quote=MLMIB;786912]yup, my bad.

the only reason I say to post pictures is some weeds 2,4-D won't kill. I sprayed 2,4-D than round up after most of my weeds didn't die. Turns out I had a lot of japanese stilt grass which needs round up to kill and wild violets, which I'm still fighting with a special chemical that is more targeted to kill them.[/quote]

name please,I have been fighting a loosing battle with this scourge for years
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 07:43 PM   #12

Weeds

[QUOTE=chrisn;787169]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLMIB View Post
yup, my bad.

the only reason I say to post pictures is some weeds 2,4-D won't kill. I sprayed 2,4-D than round up after most of my weeds didn't die. Turns out I had a lot of japanese stilt grass which needs round up to kill and wild violets, which I'm still fighting with a special chemical that is more targeted to kill them.[/quote]

name please,I have been fighting a loosing battle with this scourge for years
crossbow is the product I use, the ingredient your looking for is.... Triclopyr ester

I'm told ortho's chickweed also has it in it. I sprayed some the sunday after thanksgiving because the wild violets were still growing and within a week I could tell they had taken some of it up, although it frosted a week later so I think they stopped growing.

good luck, I know how much of a pain they can be. I sprayed round-up and tilled in september and they still make up 50% of my lawn.