Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-27-2012, 02:55 PM   #1

Share |

weedeater

Buying my first weedeater. My choices are Toro or Ryobic. I'm getting a gas one. The last I used was electric and the orange outdoor cord was too heavy to drag around.

Is there anything I should look for? On my first trip to view them I saw some with a curved handle.

thanks

Startingover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 03:12 PM   #2

weedeater

If you want a good one then skip those two brands.
A straight shaft is the way to go, ever once see a lawn service using a curved shaft trimmer?
Stil is a great brand, well worth the little extra money. I have to mow 5 lawns a week and my 5 year old trimmer still starts 2 pull every time.
With any of your power equipment if you can find non ethanol gas by all means use it. Since I started using it I've not once had to work on any fuel lines or rebuild a carberator.

joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to joecaption For This Useful Post:
Startingover (07-27-2012)
Old 07-27-2012, 06:31 PM   #3

weedeater

I've never seen straight ethanol gas around here.

I hope I don't get gunk in the engine. Otherwise I'd need an outdoor extension cord 150' long and I don't like that idea.

I guess I could take it to a repair shop if the fuel line gets stopped up.
Old 07-27-2012, 07:18 PM   #4

weedeater

Just to warn you, those gas powered weed wackers get really heavy quick. If you only have a small amount you'll be ok, but if you are planning on doing the area's the lawn tractor can't reach, you may be further ahead with a cheap gas powered lawn mower.
creeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 09:16 PM   #5
Too Short? Cut it Again!

weedeater

Some will try to argue with me but ethanol is not a friend of small engines. You should be able to find real gas at marine docks near you? You can also buy conditioners or fuel in a can that would be fine for a weed wacker.

As for which one to get? See what the warranties look like and what you have to do to exercise warranty repair. Buy one that is comfortable to use if you can.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 09:57 AM   #6
A Little Of Everything

weedeater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Startingover View Post
Buying my first weedeater. My choices are Toro or Ryobic. I'm getting a gas one. The last I used was electric and the orange outdoor cord was too heavy to drag around.

Is there anything I should look for? On my first trip to view them I saw some with a curved handle.

thanks
Over the years of doing lawn-care, I ended up buying cheaper line trimmers. They cost a fraction as much, and last just as long.

Are there some nice features on the really expensive line trimmers? Yes, a few. But they come at a high price - both in money, and in weight and maintenance.

I would recommend that you buy a curved-shaft, lower-cost 2-cycle line trimmer. The newer Homelite models are known to be problematic, but other than that, pretty much any of them will do fine. Spend $79 or $99. There is no need to spend $199 - $399.
DrHicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 09:59 AM   #7
A Little Of Everything

weedeater

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
If you want a good one then skip those two brands.
A straight shaft is the way to go, ever once see a lawn service using a curved shaft trimmer?
Stil is a great brand, well worth the little extra money. I have to mow 5 lawns a week and my 5 year old trimmer still starts 2 pull every time.
With any of your power equipment if you can find non ethanol gas by all means use it. Since I started using it I've not once had to work on any fuel lines or rebuild a carberator.
I did lawn-care for years, and only had 1 straight-shaft line trimmer. It was overpriced, overweight, and a mistake I did not repeat.

E10 Ethanol, which is in most pumps at 89 Octane, will be perfectly fine in any small 2-cycle engine. The key is to get the right fuel/oil mixture, and to not let it set in the tank for long periods of time.
Old 07-28-2012, 10:01 AM   #8
A Little Of Everything

weedeater

Quote:
Originally Posted by creeper View Post
Just to warn you, those gas powered weed wackers get really heavy quick. If you only have a small amount you'll be ok, but if you are planning on doing the area's the lawn tractor can't reach, you may be further ahead with a cheap gas powered lawn mower.
There are lightweight, curved shaft, gas-powered line trimmers that weigh less than electric models.

Unless the OP is going heavy work, and intending to fell small trees as well as giant weeds, a light-duty trimmer will be just fine.
Old 07-28-2012, 10:02 AM   #9
A Little Of Everything

weedeater

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsester View Post
Some will try to argue with me but ethanol is not a friend of small engines. You should be able to find real gas at marine docks near you? You can also buy conditioners or fuel in a can that would be fine for a weed wacker.
There is no problem with running E10 Ethanol in 2-cycle engines. 90% of the problem people have with those engines is due to mixing WAY too much oil in the gas. The other 10% comes from leaving the mix set in the tank for long periods of time.
Old 08-06-2012, 10:07 AM   #10

weedeater

What is considered a "long time" for a gas weed eater to sit? I've got to return this Ryobic as it's way too heavy. I just want to trim around the house and along the sidewalk on the corner, which is just over 125'. I probably won't trim too often. thanks
Old 08-06-2012, 10:24 AM   #11

weedeater

Stop by any small motor repair shop or any place that repairs outboard motors and just ask them what happens when you run the ethnol fuel.
The two shops I deal with even have a 8 1/2 X 11 signs stating the dangers.
They also mentioned it has double the amount of business then now have.
I know for a fact the non ethnols working far better for me.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 07:15 PM   #12

weedeater

By all means go with an Echo or Stihl,and you will be far ahead of the game,and don't forget the stabil in the gas.
Canarywood1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 09:02 PM   #13

weedeater

I just replaced my gas powered string trimmer the other day. The gas tank to body connection leaked. Mixing the gas and oil was a pain. The string jammed frequently. But the straw that broke the cammel's back was the other day when it was 95 degrees out, and it was having a hard time starting. Bought a Ryobi lithium 24V cordless. The 40v version was tempting, but it was heavier ---- weight is something you should consider. Doing my whole yard front and back used half the charge on the battery. I almost did not buy the Ryobi because I did not need the 90 degree flipping feature of head to do edging --- I already had a dedicated powered edger. But really, edging with the string trimmer is a lot easier.

Last edited by SPS-1; 08-06-2012 at 09:06 PM.
SPS-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 09:31 AM   #14

weedeater

GET A BATTERY POWERED RECHARGEABLE WEED EATER.

I hate hate hate gas powered weed eaters. After they sit all winter, you will have carb problems within a year or two. It is not worth it to repair. Gas powered weed eaters are throw aways after a couple years.

That is unless you are a small engine repair expert. Then you can just dig through my trash can and fix mine.

B
Beepster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 08:38 PM   #15
A Little Of Everything

weedeater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beepster View Post
GET A BATTERY POWERED RECHARGEABLE WEED EATER.

I hate hate hate gas powered weed eaters. After they sit all winter, you will have carb problems within a year or two. It is not worth it to repair. Gas powered weed eaters are throw aways after a couple years.

That is unless you are a small engine repair expert. Then you can just dig through my trash can and fix mine.

B
This is really a decision that should be made, based on what kind of trimming you need to do, how much, and how often.

The rechargeable trimmers are fantastic for small yards. Definitely the best way to go.

But there are also people who need gas-powered trimmers, due to the amount of work they need to do.