Weed Problem In Planters Around My House - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-01-2008, 02:00 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 250

weed problem in planters around my house

If I don't keep the weeds pulled in my planters it is not long before they will over run my planters and the nightmare starts all over.Once I have the weeds pulled what product does anyone recommend to keep them from growoing back? Maybe some one can give me some tips are the best way to deal with this. Thanks - Paul

Advertisement

Pawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 02:25 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 580

A 3-4" layer of mulch.

Advertisement

Tscarborough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 03:25 PM   #3
Learning by Doing

Rewards Points: 2,000

Unless the weeds are spontaneously generating you have one of two problems:
1) you are leaving roots behind when you pull the weeds - try spraying them with roundup or vinegar to kill the entire plant. (use a plastic bag to protect the plants you want to keep, don't saturate the soil); or

2) weeds went to seed before you pulled them - or seeds can get into planters many ways - wind/birds/etc. You can use landscape fabric and mulch, or just mulch to help keep the seedlings down.
Old 05-01-2008, 03:30 PM   #4

I have used some gardening hand tools and carefully pulled all the weeds out I see but they come back.Most of the weeds are just long single strand scraggly pieces of grass standing tall and tangle into everything.What does the mulch do?
Old 05-01-2008, 05:26 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 500

the idea w/ the mulch would be to suffocate/block light from the weeds to discourage their growth - doesn't work for me here in FL tho!!!

What you're describing sounds, to my completely amateurish ears, like grass/crabgrass/some turf species - if this is the case, it'd be largely irrelevant if you pulled them out of your garden bed. If they're in the lawn near the bed, they'll use (rhizomes? Stolons?) to spread and will get back in the bed.

The only success I've ever had is with gardening fabric, and even *still* I have weeds grow in the mulch, but they can't really root much past the fabric, are few/far between, and come out very easily, so I consider it a 'fix'.
(OH! If you do this, here's a tiny tip - leave bigger holes in the fabric around your specimens than is needed. I figured that out when I started wondering why some plants were growing wider, and some were not - the ones that were not were basically strangle-held by the fabric, and right beneath that fabric was attempted new growths!)
joeyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 07:19 PM   #6

Joeyboy,
If I am reading you right gardening fabric will yield the best results with a layer of mulch. I know this might not be an exact science but do you recommend just enough mulch to cover fabric or a 3-4 " layer like suggested earlier? Is there a specific type of gardening fabric for weeds? Lastly I have a picture in my mind of just cutting the hole size of existing plants in planters and then just overlapping with fabric from each side.
Old 05-01-2008, 10:34 PM   #7

What's the difference between mulch and bark? Which should I use if there is a difference? I found a brand of garden fabric called Weed Lock at Home Depot that comes in 4' wide by 50' long for $24 or 3' by 100'for the same price. One of my planters is 4'5" wide by 30' long so I am guessing that I just need to overlap 3 or 4" to make sure the coverage is there.Am I right with this plan? Also do I still need 3" to 4" of mulch/bark over the garden fabric?Sorry about all the questions. They say on the package that the garden fabric materials are guaranteed 10 years. That is just what I want to do is start seeing weeds in 10 years and do this again.
Old 05-02-2008, 08:26 AM   #8

PREEN. Prevents seed from germinating. PREEN with Green also contains a light duty fertilizer.
LawnGuyLandSparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 11:21 AM   #9

Any layer should do if I had to guess, but I don't have a ton of personal experience - my beds have a combination of lowe's and home depot's cheapest liners, whatever the brands were (and yep, I just cut holes for the plants and laid it down if the bed was already planted, but other beds weren't and they got fabric then cutouts for plants). I have prolly ~3" layer of mulch, I try not to go too heavy on mulch and should probably go even thinner since I'm paranoid the mulch/fabric stop water from getting to my plants as efficiently, and I'm in FL so I don't want to starve my plants .

Difference between mulches and barks...dunno, besides the obvious that a mulch would retain more water from a given raining at a constant porosity, I can't imagine there's a big difference in practice between the two and would personally choose based on aesthetics, but you may want to wait for other answers on that one.

Advertisement

joeyboy is offline   Reply With Quote