Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-28-2012, 06:57 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Weed issue in grass

Last year i renovated my front lawn.....cleaned up, aerated, seeded and fertilized. The lawn was already centipede but in rough shape. The seed (tifblair centipede) took well for the first year and actually thickened up pretty well. This year, as it is greening up now, i have weeds all over the place. How should i approach this? I already put down a pre-emergent before the dogwoods were in bloom, but i think with this year being so warm the weeds were already starting to grow.

Does anyone like Scott's weed and feed stuff? I usually get my supplies through a landscaping supply company, but i know some people who like the Scott's brand. But, As far as i know, centipede should be fertilized until around June.....here in NC, at least.

asbury park is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 07:34 AM   #2
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Weed issue in grass

The Scotts program is more or less fool proof but for a price. You can buy similar products much cheaper from your landscape supplier. If you are concerned about feeding your turf in the Spring, I would put down a post emergent herbicide without fertilizer that targets the type of weed you have. There are also spray products like Ortho Weed B Gone that have been around forever and work well on broadleaf weeds.

You sure about not feeding your turf in the Spring though? June seems awfully late for the first turf feeding.

user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 07:52 AM   #3
It's always something

Weed issue in grass

First things first: have you had your soil analyzed? If your ph is too low, you'll be fighting an uphill battle with any weeds because they thrive in acidic soil.

In my area, since it's a transitional zone, we need to apply pre-emergent twice a year ( February and June ). You might have to do that as well to keep crabgrass under control. I think NC is considered a trans-zone but don't hold me to that.

Scott's gets a lot of good reviews and I'm considering using them even though they're pricey. I use something called Fertilome and I'm not completely in love with the product.

Does your local nursery have any kind of program you could follow? We have at least two nurseries here that have a 5-step program where they'll advise you when to apply certain products. It's really helped my lawn.
SingleGuy is offline   Reply With Quote