Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-25-2012, 07:11 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 31

Weed Eater Problem

I tried to start my weed eater for the first time this season. I replaced the spark plug (it is the right one). I started it up and it seemed like it idled fine but when I stomp on the gas it dies or when I put choke full on it dies. Another thing I noticed when I pulled out the spark plug to make sure it was the right one, the spark plug is already black on the inside. I am pretty sure it isn't the gas because I just mixed it about 2 months ago. I tried spraying out the carb. I just sprayed through the hole, I haven't taken it apart yet. Any ideas? Please help.

tucker0104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 11:02 PM   #2
A Little Of Everything

Rewards Points: 1,068

Weed Eater Problem

All the orifices in those little 2-cycle engines are so small that they're pretty fickle.

If you can start it, and let it idle until it gets good and warmed up, do so. Baby it along. Sometimes you've just got to work a little junk out of it on your first run of the season.

DrHicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 02:18 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 3,150

Weed Eater Problem

Also remove and check the muffler to see if it's plugged up with carbon.
If it turns out to be the carberator just replace the whole carberator.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 07:02 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 31

Weed Eater Problem

Another thing I noticed is the spark plug and the rubber gasket that plugs over it were getting extremly warm. Is this normal?
tucker0104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 11:50 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 510

Weed Eater Problem

These small engines can be a bit tempermental especcially with the new gas available everywhere. Most of these engines do not like alcohol in large quantities. The 10% blend available at most places should not pose much of a problem but anything higher will wreak havok. Anyway, assuming that the type of gas is not the problem There are a couple other things to look at. first off though we need to understand the basics of the engine. You need three basic things to make one of these work. Fuel, air and ignition. By the sounds of it you have all three present as the engine does run. It is likely that one or two of them might not be in the proper ratio. Since the ignition in these engines are pretty much a binary bystem in that they either work or don't work I think we can rule that out for now. My first thought is to look at the filters if there are any. I know mine has both an air filter and a fuel filter. Yours may or may not habe one or both. The fuel filter is usually licated in the tank on the end of the fuel pickup hose. I can get mine out with a pair of needle nose pliers by grabing the hose enough to pull it out of the tank. I have to clean it once every two years. I do this by simply blowing carburator cleaner thru it backwards and flushing it out. The air filter is a bit easier as it is easy to remove. I simply clean it in bucke to soapy water (small foam block),and let it dry.
As for the spark plug and wire boot getting warm...Yes, this is normal. The spark plug is threaded into the cylinder head which is the cap on the chamber where all of the action occurs to make these things work. The internakl cylinder temperatures can, at certain times in the combustion cycle, exceed 1200 degrees.

Depending on how old this unit is there could be other contributing factors such as decreased compression in the cylinder and crankcase due to work parts or warped case. If this is the case I would recomend replacing it as repairing it will cost more than a new one.
danpik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 12:10 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 254

Weed Eater Problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucker0104 View Post
I tried to start my weed eater for the first time this season. I replaced the spark plug (it is the right one). I started it up and it seemed like it idled fine but when I stomp on the gas it dies or when I put choke full on it dies. Another thing I noticed when I pulled out the spark plug to make sure it was the right one, the spark plug is already black on the inside. I am pretty sure it isn't the gas because I just mixed it about 2 months ago. I tried spraying out the carb. I just sprayed through the hole, I haven't taken it apart yet. Any ideas? Please help.
Change the little hoses. I bet they are closing up due to the dam gas now day's . I have 4 different unit's and replaced all the hoses on them. They were bad cost me $2.00 for the hoses. bet that is the problum

del schisler is offline   Reply With Quote