Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-13-2012, 11:43 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 250

weed eater heavy brush blade attachment

**edited** will this work (safely) for attaching blade to weedeater if I find a nut to fit? thanks
Attached Thumbnails
weed eater heavy brush blade attachment-weed-001.jpg   weed eater heavy brush blade attachment-weed-002.jpg   weed eater heavy brush blade attachment-weed-003.jpg  

Last edited by ugabulldog; 10-13-2012 at 04:38 PM.
ugabulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 12:33 PM   #2
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

How much do you have to clear? Would renting something for a day or weekend make more sense than buying a kit? I think when you get near 1/2" with no matter what special attachment you are at the upper limits of the capabilities of a weed eater? Most of the motors are just not built to deliver torque and other properties needed for very much work on things that thick.

Last edited by user1007; 10-13-2012 at 12:36 PM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 01:46 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsester View Post
How much do you have to clear? Would renting something for a day or weekend make more sense than buying a kit? I think when you get near 1/2" with no matter what special attachment you are at the upper limits of the capabilities of a weed eater? Most of the motors are just not built to deliver torque and other properties needed for very much work on things that thick.
I need it on an ongoing basis.... have used the circular saw method before and it worked great, just wondering if that is overkill or maybe the best way, thanks.
Old 10-13-2012, 05:06 PM   #4
A Little Of Everything

Rewards Points: 1,068

Quote:
Originally Posted by ugabulldog View Post
**edited** will this work (safely) for attaching blade to weedeater if I find a nut to fit? thanks
Whoa - that scares me, and I don't scare easily!

Here's what I'm thinking...

First of all, there's no way in the world to make that completely safe. Period. But since you're a guy, and you want to do it, you'll do it anyway. Therefore, the need is to minimize risk.

One thing I see is that the arbor in the blade is larger than the shaft of your weedeater. You're going to need a sleeve shim, and it's going to have to be a precise fit, or the blade is going to be terribly out of balance. It looks like you're also going to need a reverse-thread lock-nut. A hardware store is probably your best bet for that stuff, but it's a long-shot.

Keep in mind that those weedeaters spin at a VERY high rpm. If anything goes wrong, it's probably going to go wrong in a big - and very painful - way.

Good luck.
DrHicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 07:34 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 518

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrHicks View Post
If anything goes wrong, it's probably going to go wrong in a big - and very painful - way.
A steel blade with sharp edges, spinning at 10,000 RPM, just a little off-center on the mounting arbor, and you are whacking it against branches and brush. What could possibly go wrong?
SPS-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 07:45 PM   #6
A Little Of Everything

Rewards Points: 1,068

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPS-1 View Post
A steel blade with sharp edges, spinning at 10,000 RPM, just a little off-center on the mounting arbor, and you are whacking it against branches and brush. What could possibly go wrong?
Ummm, Doc, I think I may need a few stitches.

DrHicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 08:19 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,002

Bulldog,
I used to have a blade setup for a commerical weadeater that was made for the unit. I used it once and took it off. Quite a bit of kickback, too dangerous in my opinion. If you decide to use yours, get some very heavy boots.
Mike Hawkins
firehawkmph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 04:58 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by firehawkmph View Post
Bulldog,
I used to have a blade setup for a commerical weadeater that was made for the unit. I used it once and took it off. Quite a bit of kickback, too dangerous in my opinion. If you decide to use yours, get some very heavy boots.
Mike Hawkins
ok, thanks all...guess Il go another route!!