Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-13-2012, 11:43 AM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: georgia
Posts: 292
Rewards Points: 250
Default

weed eater heavy brush blade attachment


**edited** will this work (safely) for attaching blade to weedeater if I find a nut to fit? thanks
Attached Thumbnails
weed eater heavy brush blade attachment-weed-001.jpg   weed eater heavy brush blade attachment-weed-002.jpg   weed eater heavy brush blade attachment-weed-003.jpg  


Last edited by ugabulldog; 10-13-2012 at 04:38 PM.
ugabulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 12:33 PM   #2
Too Short? Cut it Again!
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 9,635
Rewards Points: 2,000
Default

weed eater heavy brush blade attachment


How much do you have to clear? Would renting something for a day or weekend make more sense than buying a kit? I think when you get near 1/2" with no matter what special attachment you are at the upper limits of the capabilities of a weed eater? Most of the motors are just not built to deliver torque and other properties needed for very much work on things that thick.


Last edited by user1007; 10-13-2012 at 12:36 PM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 01:46 PM   #3
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: georgia
Posts: 292
Rewards Points: 250
Default

weed eater heavy brush blade attachment


Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsester View Post
How much do you have to clear? Would renting something for a day or weekend make more sense than buying a kit? I think when you get near 1/2" with no matter what special attachment you are at the upper limits of the capabilities of a weed eater? Most of the motors are just not built to deliver torque and other properties needed for very much work on things that thick.
I need it on an ongoing basis.... have used the circular saw method before and it worked great, just wondering if that is overkill or maybe the best way, thanks.
ugabulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 05:06 PM   #4
A Little Of Everything
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Omaha, NE
Posts: 2,194
Rewards Points: 1,068
Default

weed eater heavy brush blade attachment


Quote:
Originally Posted by ugabulldog View Post
**edited** will this work (safely) for attaching blade to weedeater if I find a nut to fit? thanks
Whoa - that scares me, and I don't scare easily!

Here's what I'm thinking...

First of all, there's no way in the world to make that completely safe. Period. But since you're a guy, and you want to do it, you'll do it anyway. Therefore, the need is to minimize risk.

One thing I see is that the arbor in the blade is larger than the shaft of your weedeater. You're going to need a sleeve shim, and it's going to have to be a precise fit, or the blade is going to be terribly out of balance. It looks like you're also going to need a reverse-thread lock-nut. A hardware store is probably your best bet for that stuff, but it's a long-shot.

Keep in mind that those weedeaters spin at a VERY high rpm. If anything goes wrong, it's probably going to go wrong in a big - and very painful - way.


Good luck.
DrHicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 07:34 PM   #5
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Ontario
Posts: 805
Rewards Points: 518
Default

weed eater heavy brush blade attachment


Quote:
Originally Posted by DrHicks View Post
If anything goes wrong, it's probably going to go wrong in a big - and very painful - way.
A steel blade with sharp edges, spinning at 10,000 RPM, just a little off-center on the mounting arbor, and you are whacking it against branches and brush. What could possibly go wrong?
SPS-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 07:45 PM   #6
A Little Of Everything
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Omaha, NE
Posts: 2,194
Rewards Points: 1,068
Default

weed eater heavy brush blade attachment


Quote:
Originally Posted by SPS-1 View Post
A steel blade with sharp edges, spinning at 10,000 RPM, just a little off-center on the mounting arbor, and you are whacking it against branches and brush. What could possibly go wrong?
Ummm, Doc, I think I may need a few stitches.

DrHicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 08:19 PM   #7
Member
 
firehawkmph's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Near Cleveland, Ohio
Posts: 1,585
Rewards Points: 1,002
Default

weed eater heavy brush blade attachment


Bulldog,
I used to have a blade setup for a commerical weadeater that was made for the unit. I used it once and took it off. Quite a bit of kickback, too dangerous in my opinion. If you decide to use yours, get some very heavy boots.
Mike Hawkins
firehawkmph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 04:58 AM   #8
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: georgia
Posts: 292
Rewards Points: 250
Default

weed eater heavy brush blade attachment


Quote:
Originally Posted by firehawkmph View Post
Bulldog,
I used to have a blade setup for a commerical weadeater that was made for the unit. I used it once and took it off. Quite a bit of kickback, too dangerous in my opinion. If you decide to use yours, get some very heavy boots.
Mike Hawkins
ok, thanks all...guess Il go another route!!

ugabulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
attaching circular blade to weedeater ugabulldog Landscaping & Lawn Care 1 09-25-2012 07:27 PM
most efficient way to cut poured concrete floor Allthunbs Plumbing 10 12-16-2010 04:55 AM
ryobi weed eater lilsara88 Landscaping & Lawn Care 2 05-13-2009 08:31 PM
weed eater repairs MDduck865 Landscaping & Lawn Care 1 04-05-2009 08:15 PM
Weed Eater Weed Wacker Prob bobo Automotive Repairs 7 08-18-2008 11:12 AM




Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.