Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-02-2013, 12:40 PM   #1

Share |

weed b gone patches

I tried to kill some dandelions with weed b gone. Although I only sprayed it on the dandelion itself the chemicals got to the grass and now I have 10-12 yellow patches. Can this be remedied or will the grass grow back over time?

valpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 06:35 PM   #2

weed b gone patches

Did you use the recommended usage on the bottle??

merle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 07:27 PM   #3

weed b gone patches

Quote:
Originally Posted by merle View Post
Did you use the recommended usage on the bottle??
Yep but something tells me this isn't good.
Old 06-02-2013, 07:41 PM   #4

weed b gone patches

If the patches aren't too big, the grass should recover. Keep it well watered.
Old 06-02-2013, 07:46 PM   #5

weed b gone patches

Quote:
Originally Posted by djlandkpl View Post
If the patches aren't too big, the grass should recover. Keep it well watered.
We have had a ton of rain. They are 4x6 and 6x8 patches.
Old 06-02-2013, 07:53 PM   #6
Retired from the grind

weed b gone patches

Just cut out, and then dig down about six inches, to remove any soil that still has the chemical in it. After that, you can then replace with good soil and top with a sand/seed mix, along with some pre-seeding fertilizer.

you will never know it was even there after a few weeks. Now of course the cheater way is to contact your local sod company and see if they have any scraps from jobs, and go get some of those and plant them where the patches are, or find a neighbor doing some extension of flower or planting beds, or even getting a garden in, where they did not have one, and ask if you can have the sod from the project.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 07:57 PM   #7

weed b gone patches

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
Just cut out, and then dig down about six inches, to remove any soil that still has the chemical in it. After that, you can then replace with good soil and top with a sand/seed mix, along with some pre-seeding fertilizer.

you will never know it was even there after a few weeks. Now of course the cheater way is to contact your local sod company and see if they have any scraps from jobs, and go get some of those and plant them where the patches are, or find a neighbor doing some extension of flower or planting beds, or even getting a garden in, where they did not have one, and ask if you can have the sod from the project.
What if I leave it as is?
Old 06-02-2013, 08:39 PM   #8
Retired from the grind

weed b gone patches

It will look like you let a bunch of dogs pee or poop in your yard, and will not return until next year. Personally, next time, you are better to just use the Ace Hardware Weed & Feed, or a Dandelion popper to remove them.

I made the mistake and let my son do the first spread of Weed & Feed, and he missed a lot of spots. This time I went through and did it myself, and no Dandelion's and the weeds are going away since I did it four days ago. This is the third time I have had to spread the stuff, because of how much rain we have had in the past two months.

I do not believe in liquid Weed-B-gone anymore, because they water the stuff down too much, along with stuff like Scott's and Bayer products, which makes you spend more. Plus you have to really be careful when using certain weed products, because there are some grass species as you have found, which will be killed off by the product.

Grass is actually nothing more than a weed, but what you probably are seeing is Crab grass that got killed with the Weed killer, or even Rye Grass. Post a picture of the spots, not zoomed in, and then take a picture of another area that you did not touch.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
Old 06-03-2013, 05:25 PM   #9

weed b gone patches

They look smaller but they are about 6x8 and 8x10 wide.
Old 06-03-2013, 05:47 PM   #10
registered

weed b gone patches

Used to much. Always just a little. Yes don't worry will grow back .I use weed and grass killer on dandelions. It always kills a little spot on grass. The spots are now all gone.
747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 05:57 PM   #11

weed b gone patches

Quote:
Originally Posted by 747 View Post
Used to much. Always just a little. Yes don't worry will grow back .I use weed and grass killer on dandelions. It always kills a little spot on grass. The spots are now all gone.
So it sounds like I shouldn't touch it. Next year they will be back...
Old 06-03-2013, 06:26 PM   #12
Retired from the grind

weed b gone patches

Lay down some Weed & Feed in the bag (Ace Hardware brand is better than Scott's or Bayer), then six or eight weeks later, repeat. Also make sure you put down the dry Bug-B-Gone also to keep the critters from chewing on the roots of the grass.

Next late Winter/early Spring, put down some Pre-emergent and you should be fine.
Old 06-04-2013, 11:12 AM   #13

weed b gone patches

I use weed be gone and I use more then directed and have never burnt my grass like that. Someone wanted those weeds dead.
Tatertot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 08:00 AM   #14

weed b gone patches

Should I lay down some Scott's EZ seed after removing the yellow grass or just leave it all?