Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-29-2012, 12:27 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 81

watering lawn conundrum..

Hi,
I am preparing on burying my gutter downspouts, and routing them to connect with the city sewer...it IS allowed here.

Anyway, with this drought this summer and the grass looking like hay...I was wondering if there was a better way to distribute the water runoff and the sump pump hose water.

We ALSO pay a sewer fee for all water usage, even if watering the lawn.

Can drywells help even out the water usage? I have clay soil, so a drywell may take months to drain, and the grass is above ground...so mybe a dywell wouldn't help the grass above it too much or not at all???

Rainbarrels...55gal. into a typical sprinkler and you get about 10 minuyes of watering, so rainbarrels don't seem worth it for lawn sprinkling.

Any ideas? Would you worry about saving water...or would you just make sure it gets away from the foundation?

Thoughts??

D270 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 12:53 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 4,152

There's companys that sell all the equipment to store all the rain water in under ground tanks to be used flushing toilets, watering you lawn, whatever.
Not cheap but it can be done.

Almost no place allows rain water to be run to a public sewer anymore.

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 05:39 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 670

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Almost no place allows rain water to be run to a public sewer anymore.
I've lived in several places that allow them to be connected to the storm sewer system. I certainly agree that I don't know of any place where they can be connected to sanitary sewers but storm sewers are a completely different matter.
Msradell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 05:57 PM   #4
Bill Kearney

Rewards Points: 1,124

Quote:
Originally Posted by D270 View Post
Hi, I am preparing on burying my gutter downspouts, and routing them to connect with the city sewer...it IS allowed here.
Into the storm sewers? Maybe. But into the sanitary waste lines? Not likely, and even if it was 'allowed' it would be a terrible thing to do. Systems get overloaded during heavy rains and overflow. It would seem just criminally lazy to deliberately add MORE to the drains.

Quote:
We ALSO pay a sewer fee for all water usage, even if watering the lawn.
Some water companies have a way for you to add a second meter for irrigation and pools. This way you only pay sewage fees for water actually going back; not out onto the lawn. I'm adding one when we remodel.

Running your drain lines to an on-site underground cistern might be worth considering. Then you could pump it back out for irrigation. Not the least expensive thing to do but certainly better for the environment that adding to the existing sewers.
wkearney99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 08:37 PM   #5
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by D270 View Post
Hi,
I am preparing on burying my gutter downspouts, and routing them to connect with the city sewer...it IS allowed here.

Rainbarrels...55gal. into a typical sprinkler and you get about 10 minuyes of watering, so rainbarrels don't seem worth it for lawn sprinkling.

Any ideas? Would you worry about saving water...or would you just make sure it gets away from the foundation?
Don't get to used to those sewer connected downspouts. It is only a matter of time before Hoffman Estates realizes they overload the system like most municipalities.

Rainbarrels may not do much for watering the lawn but a 55 gallon barrel could distribute water to quite a few plants with .5 to 1 or 2 Gallons per hour (not gallons per minute like lawn sprinklers) drip emitters. And plants love it.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 06:48 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,032

With cisterns or rain barrels, you need to pump or pressurize the water in order to water the lawn.

The electricity for the pump together with the added system components needed may well outweigh the cost of using tap water for lawn watering (already under pressure from the water works).
Old 09-01-2012, 08:15 AM   #7
Bill Kearney

Rewards Points: 1,124

Free water and a relatively inexpensive pump and some electric. And you're keeping the water out of the municipal system. Seems like a much better plan that just giving up and paying (twice) for municipal water. Even if it "outweighs" the cost it's still a plan worth considering. Too many people just give up because it's not cheap enough, forgetting what the long-term costs truly are.
wkearney99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 05:32 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 250

There are rain collection systems available much larger than 55 gallon. For example:

http://www.conservationtechnology.co...r_storage.html

These are big tanks, but they are pretty light when empty so you can move them easily. Doesn't lock you into a in-ground cistern system, either. This website also includes other cistern-type tanks that can be buried.

You can also get solar-charged battery pumps for these that let you water under pressure, but if you have a big above ground tank you may not need it as you might already have several feet of head pressure.
Thunder Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 07:10 PM   #9
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

Drip irrigation requires very little water pressure and for some systems hydraulic pressure from tubing lower than the rain barrels is enough without a pump.

Drip emitters come in all sorts of configurations. There are for example simple drippers, bubblers and misters. There are even miniature sprinklers and sprayers that work in the range of 5GPH to 60GPH depending radius desired.

Some years ago there was a company trying to market a drip matte that went under turfgrass. I don't think it worked out so well but could be wrong. However, drip will work on anything but turf where retractable heads and buried pipe are necessary because of mowing requirements.

Last edited by user1007; 09-01-2012 at 07:18 PM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote