Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-25-2012, 10:32 PM   #1

Share |

Watering for ground Cover and Fruit trees

I have a slope area (less than 45 degrees). It is around 400 SQ ft.

We would like to plant couple of fruit trees and then ground cover for the whole area so that soil can be retained.

So the question here is - since we are putting two differrent type, how can I do irrigation ?

I guess sprinklers are required for ground cover. Bubblers/drip system is preferred for fruit trees. Can I put both sprinklers and bubblers for the same pipe line ? or any other ideas ?

cprao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 07:50 AM   #2
Too Short? Cut it Again!

You can get drip emitters in just about any configuration imaginable including for watering ground cover. They even make little mini-rainjet thing for drip systems. The only thing not yet worked out well is drip for turf. Use drip for everything and simple emitters for the trees and some sort of spray pattern emitters for the ground cover.

You can put all on the same watering circuits so long as you have sufficient water flow. You may want to deep water trees though and run a separate circuit for them.

Typical residential water flows at 8-12 gallons per minute (GPM). Multiply your rate times 60 to get the gallons per hour (GPH). Drip emitters are rated in gallons per hour and draw between .5-12GPH. I found it best to try and design in the 1-4GPH range. Just add extra emitters for the trees rather than using bigger ones. They are not expensive. Do plan for tree growth and do not run your lines to close to the trunks.

Look online for the best selection of drip emitters. Note to be sure and buy valves that can handle low flow rates. If automating, and you should, look for timers that allow longer watering times. If you have an irrigation supply company near you they would be a good resource in addition to online.

Last edited by user1007; 04-26-2012 at 07:55 AM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to user1007 For This Useful Post:
SingleGuy (04-26-2012)
Old 04-26-2012, 08:15 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsester View Post
You can get drip emitters in just about any configuration imaginable including for watering ground cover. They even make little mini-rainjet thing for drip systems. The only thing not yet worked out well is drip for turf. Use drip for everything and simple emitters for the trees and some sort of spray pattern emitters for the ground cover.

You can put all on the same watering circuits so long as you have sufficient water flow. You may want to deep water trees though and run a separate circuit for them.

Typical residential water flows at 8-12 gallons per minute (GPM). Multiply your rate times 60 to get the gallons per hour (GPH). Drip emitters are rated in gallons per hour and draw between .5-12GPH. I found it best to try and design in the 1-4GPH range. Just add extra emitters for the trees rather than using bigger ones. They are not expensive. Do plan for tree growth and do not run your lines to close to the trunks.

Look online for the best selection of drip emitters. Note to be sure and buy valves that can handle low flow rates. If automating, and you should, look for timers that allow longer watering times. If you have an irrigation supply company near you they would be a good resource in addition to online.
Thank you. This is very good information.
cprao is offline   Reply With Quote