Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-25-2007, 11:39 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

waterfall

Does anybody have suggestions on a small waterfall/pond? I was planning on making a "relaxing" area. I have an area that is about 30x20 that I was wanting to do something with. I really don't like the plastic look of the Wallmart, drop into place, ponds. What are some other alternatives to plastic? How do some of the amusement parks and other establishments make stone falls that look like stone but you can tell the are not?

rodsteryz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 11:08 AM   #2

waterfall

Look under "Pond construction" in your local yellow pages. If you are handy, you can put it together yourself or have a pro do it for you. A 20 by 30 foot area for a waterfall pond is not a small waterfall pond. Thats big bucks. As an alternative, you can purchase a few outdoor waterfall fountains and perhaps form a rock garden around them. or are you referring to something much smaller like in inches?

rjordan392 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 12:52 PM   #3

waterfall

More interesting, natural looking ponds can be made with pond liner, rather than the tubs. It's a thick plastic/rubber membrane that you lay in your hole, and then cover it with rocks to provide a natural look.

The stuff in amusement parks that looks like rock but isn't is probably some sort of molded foam, or fiberglass. Not really a diy thing. Just get real rock.
NateHanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 01:22 PM   #4

waterfall

Thanx for the help. The area is about 20x30 feet but I wasn't going to do the whole area pond. I was just going to have a water feature and then probably do flat stone for the seating/patio area. Probably put in some low voltage lighting ect. Anybody have any pics for some ideas? Seems like after I do a project it never fails that 2 months later I will see or hear something and then wish I would have added it!
rodsteryz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 03:20 AM   #5

waterfall

Greetings-

One quick comment on your potential plans for a rock waterfall-- build it on a good stable foundation appropriate for its weight and soil conditions. Our pool waterfall in a prior house was built on the pool's apron (concrete) without any additional support-- and it was begining to settle and slant. Them rocks are heavvvvvy ! Sure was pretty though...
Piney is offline   Reply With Quote