DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

water drainage problem....

3K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  handy man88 
#1 ·
I had a house built in August of last year in a subdivision. It was built by a company that started the subdivision and they took care of building the house, landscaping, driveway, etc..... My backyard was fine until they built a few more houses up the street from me. I am now starting to get a valley in my yard from the water running down and it has also washed the grass away. I had a wood privacy fence put up and it only took one rain for it to have a valley under the fence. I contacted the builder about the problem since I have a one year warranty and they told me that it was a natural water runoff and there is nothing they can do about it. They didnt even come out and look at it. I really cant run the water in any other direction since one way is up hill and the other way will run into the side of my house. Does anyone have any help or directions for me to go to solve this problem. It is only getting worse everytime it rains. Not sure if there is some kind of french drain type system that may work. Please help... Thanks in advance for your help.

Josh

#2 ·
I would advise you to look at the grading plan for your lot and your street (should have been provided the time you signed the contract). For the plan to pass, it should have been ok'd by the county. Since you are having water issues, most likely the final grade did not abide by the plan. I'd check for this, and make sure you can resolve this before your 1 year warranty is up. You may have to hire a civil eng. or a survey company to review the grade plan vs. the actual grade to determine whether it abides by the final grade plan.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.