Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-31-2012, 01:21 PM   #1

Share |

WARNING...foundation cracking from heat

MAN this scared the P*** out of me ,with the midwest and surrounding farms seeing it effect the "growth" yields....now reports of the sun/heat sucking the moisture out of the dirt under foundations and houses cracking like eggs down the middle.the insurances aren't covering it and it can be a $100,000 to repair walls ceilings follow up...i would be running a 1/2" water line (nail/drill holes ever 12")around the foundation were it meets the dirt 360 degrees around that castle and feed it for an hour a night to keep it moist.... and your not even in the selling mode...what a nightmare...chek the news reports that is some financial hole to get out of..

Last edited by biggles; 09-02-2012 at 06:08 AM.
biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 01:28 PM   #2
bbo

what?

calm down. its not the end of the world.

sounds like you are building a moat to prevent an issue that is unlikely to ever happen.

bbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 04:13 PM   #3

i don't give a flying F here in the North East just a warning for the people out there in the drought areas...try selling a house with cracks up the walls and across the ceilings...just like N.O. who cares....
Old 08-31-2012, 04:20 PM   #4
Mod

They have been soaker hosing around foundations in TX an OK for a long time now.
Old 08-31-2012, 06:30 PM   #5

that's good to hear.......
Old 08-31-2012, 06:48 PM   #6
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Ah more global warming myths.

Science warned us all long ago it was coming. Rather than implement just in case measures and adjust building techniques and materials we just blew it off as sensationalism. Time to pay the piper I fear.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 04:52 AM   #7
paper hanger and painter

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggles View Post
MAN this scared the P*** out of me ,with the midwest and surrounding farms seeing it effect the crow yields....now reports of the sun/heat sucking the moisture out of the dirt under foundations and houses cracking like eggs down the middle.the insurances aren't covering it and it can be a $100,000 to repair walls ceilings follow up...i would be running a 1/2" water line (nail/drill holes ever 12")around the foundation were it meets the dirt 360 degrees around that castle and feed it for an hour a night to keep it moist.... and your not even in the selling mode...what a nightmare...chek the news reports that is some financial hole to get out of..

what do crows have to do with it?
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 05:58 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisn View Post
what do crows have to do with it?
Maybe the crows get dehydrated and that affects the fertilisation of the crops which will then die which will then undermine the foundations of the houses that provide shelter for the people that produce the crops that feed the crows.........

Sorry. Lost myself there............
Wandererone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 05:00 PM   #9
paper hanger and painter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wandererone View Post
Maybe the crows get dehydrated and that affects the fertilisation of the crops which will then die which will then undermine the foundations of the houses that provide shelter for the people that produce the crops that feed the crows.........

Sorry. Lost myself there............

Why, yes, that MUST be it
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 12:47 AM   #10
Bombastic Idiot

You ain't from around here are ya, biggles? Its been a fairly nice summer actually I think only 60 or so days 100 or more rest of um only made it to high 90's; only a moderate drought, we can water on 2 days a week , before 10 and after 6. We can run the foundation soaker hose as needed. Its the black soaker hose,not flat green sprayer, buried 6" to a foot, a couple feet from foundation. Run it slow so water seeps to and under foundation, not your nail holed gushing fountain of Versailles. That washes away the soil under there. And not every night, just a few days slow but constant to get it moist, then ever once in a while you go out and poke your finger in the ground to check it out, mebbee run it a few hours. Some folks got theres on a timer once they got the schedule figgered out. No biggie. What is big here is foundation repair companies, score of pages in yellow pages, cable jack, cable lock, jack lock, perma jack, perma cable, jack ass, all sorts a names.
My slab house, and lots of others on local gumbo soil changes elevation couple inches over the seasons. Dry soil shrinks turns hard as rock, hail stones bounce 3 feet in air, house sinks, comes the rain soil swells up , turns into "World's Most Powerful Glue," hail stones sink outta sight,house rises. During "rapidly changing conditions", this house is a rockin. Right now there's a 4" wide foot and a half deep perfectly straight sided trench between my lawn and curb, come the fall rains, it'll close up so tight that if I'd filled trench with soil it'd get pushed out.
Gotta go now, gonna buy me some hog belly futures and speculate in next year's crow yield. I'm bettin it'll be down, what with the breeders fallin into all the cracks up North and the earth openin beneath their feet and all this year.

Last edited by notmrjohn; 09-02-2012 at 12:57 AM.
notmrjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 04:47 AM   #11

Goddamn notmrjohn!!!
Even us here in Awwwstrailya know you gotta water them crow cracks to keep the yield up and save them breeders from just slippin' away into the never never!

And forget about investing in hogbelly! Old hat that one.
'Roo rumps is where the dollars are. Lotsa dollars to be made in 'roo rumps

Not quite sure what they do with the rest of the 'roo though? Feed all the boat people maybe?
Now theres a damn good idea Miz Gillard

Last edited by Wandererone; 09-02-2012 at 04:54 AM.
Old 09-02-2012, 03:18 PM   #12
Bombastic Idiot

Wandereone, maybe you can help us out, you bein all strayin and such, over in a thread called Wombat Jack. wombat jack
BTW, how do yall walk about down there? Seems like the blood would be rushin to your haid alla time.

Last edited by notmrjohn; 09-02-2012 at 03:20 PM.
Old 09-02-2012, 06:16 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by notmrjohn View Post
BTW, how do yall walk about down there? Seems like the blood would be rushin to your haid alla time.
Thats right. How do ya think we all got so smart???
Old 09-03-2012, 01:57 AM   #14

And I thank you for recognizing our Awwwstrailyan intelligence notmrjack

I have now made what I think to be an intelligent Awwwstrailyan response to the 'Wombat Jack' question.

But a typically Awwwstrailyan response to either poster would be......

Are these questions for real???
Old 09-03-2012, 09:52 AM   #15
Bombastic Idiot

They are only real if the words are followed by a question mark.