Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-19-2013, 04:07 AM   #1

Share |

Wanting to fix my lawn up!

So it is is down in the mid to high 70's where I reside in Virginia Beach and I am wanting to know when to start prepping my lawn for next year. A lot of people tell me around this time it is the time to start seeding, is this true? Also, a lot of people tell me I should get an aerater and use it on my lawn at this time then seed?

I also have a lot of crab grass that I am wanting to get rid of but since there is so much in my lawn I was wondering if there is something I could do to kill it now, or should I just let the cold kill it and use a herbicide in the spring to prevent the crab grass from coming back?

Let me know what you guys think! I know I am not going to get a nice amazing looking turf, I just would love for a more full, darker, and weed free lawn!

Thanks in advance for the advice!

mckain87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 07:16 AM   #2

Now is the time to reseed. Aerating will help if your soil is compacted as will dethatching. See if you can rent a seed slicer. It's a machine that cuts through the top layer of soil and grass and deposits the seed in the soil.

Crabgrass is an annual and will die over winter. However the dead roots and leaves will remain and will be a roadblock for new grass. If you can, pull it up. At this point the crabgrass will have seed heads. Handling the crabgrass is going to release some of the seed which will grow next year. You'll need a preemergent in the spring.

Old 09-22-2013, 08:14 AM   #3

Awesome. Thanks a lot! I am going to nrxt weekend. I will attempt to pull up as much as I can. Hope it looks better next summer.

Also. How do I know bow much water my lawn needs?
Old 09-22-2013, 09:04 AM   #4

Depends upon soil type and grass. Typically it's one inch of water per week. If you have sandy soil and you need to irrigate, split the watering two times over a week. It's better to water deeply vs. everyday.

After you reseed, you will need to water at least once per day for 10-15 minutes to keep the seed moist and to get it to germinate. Once it's growing reduce the watering but increase the duration.
Old 09-25-2013, 06:28 PM   #5

Ok, so do you recommend me using a seed slicer or aerating my lawn? I am wanting to do this next week.

I have discussed with a local shop and they have told me some seeds that they sell that is particular for the type of grass and soil that we have here. Do I just aerate then lay the seed down after I do that? I know I should water the lawn a few days before I aerate so it is not too hard. Do I need to mix in any kind of special fertilizer with the seed or any thing else? I see a lot of people mentioning fertilizer with their seed and I just I am confused on what I would need...just seed or both?

Thanks a lot guys.....and girls!
Old 09-25-2013, 06:54 PM   #6

Also...what about lime? I hear some people mention that. Should I use that as well? It so how do I use it along with the others?
Old 09-25-2013, 08:48 PM   #7
K&B Designer

VA has warm season grass like Bermuda or centipede, not cool season grasses like fescue or rye that predominate more northern locales. Warm season grass is best seeded----guess what? In a warm season. Late April or the first of May is ideal time in agricultural zone 7 to seed bermuda. Late fall is ideal time for a late fertilization, with very minimal nitrogen, and for liming. Most lawn grasses prefer a neutral to slightly acidic pH, but Bermuda actually prefers slightly alkaline conditions. Get a soil test done, and it will come with a recommendation as to how many pounds of lime would be ideal for your particular grass type. Your local government county agricultural office may offer that service, or have links to labs who will do the testing for you.
Live_Oak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 03:49 AM   #8

Hrmm so do you think it is a waste to of time to try and seed my lawn now since it is not the summer time? Or could I now and also when it gets warmer?

Zach
Old 09-26-2013, 07:15 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckain87 View Post
Hrmm so do you think it is a waste to of time to try and seed my lawn now since it is not the summer time? Or could I now and also when it gets warmer?

Zach
Depends what kind of grass you have. I don't have experience with warm season grasses. It would not make sense to plant seed now that requires heat to germinate.

When you get around to doing it, I would aerate and slice seed.
Old 09-29-2013, 04:32 PM   #10

Va is not just warm season grass. Most lawns are fescue if you have shade. My entire lawn is fescue and I staryed seeding the back 2 falls ago and the front last fall. It depends on how much sun your yard gets. Va beach probably has more bermuda but central va has a large portion of fescue lawns. Depends on each individual lawns sun tolerances.

Pagevee is offline   Reply With Quote