Want Patio, Water Lines In The Way - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-15-2010, 11:22 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Exclamation

want patio, water lines in the way

Is anyone out there good at sketching!?!!! I live on 160 acres in northwest Kansas. Might sound wonderful but we're smack dab in the middle of limestone country. In most areas if you go down anywhere from 6" to 10" you run into a honker slab of limestone. If you bust through that, and dig some more, there is...more limestone. My first problem is this: I'd like to put a patio/deck on the north side of my house, but running parallel with the house set out about 10' is a water line. Can anyone out their sketch me a layout of a patio or deck or combination of the two that can be made out of multiple materials. The reason I say this is because whatever material to be used over the waterline area would have to be easily removable if we need to trench out the waterline & fix/replace it. The second problem is then I'm concerned with the type of material I can use because of all the limestone so close to the surface. Any help is greatly appreciated. I would also like to know if anyone has suggestions for any kind of deciduous trees that can live amongst all the limestone. We are in dire need of shade around the house!!

Advertisement

CluelessnKansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 01:15 PM   #2
DIY'er

Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by CluelessnKansas View Post
Is anyone out there good at sketching!?!!! I live on 160 acres in northwest Kansas. Might sound wonderful but we're smack dab in the middle of limestone country. In most areas if you go down anywhere from 6" to 10" you run into a honker slab of limestone. If you bust through that, and dig some more, there is...more limestone. My first problem is this: I'd like to put a patio/deck on the north side of my house, but running parallel with the house set out about 10' is a water line. Can anyone out their sketch me a layout of a patio or deck or combination of the two that can be made out of multiple materials. The reason I say this is because whatever material to be used over the waterline area would have to be easily removable if we need to trench out the waterline & fix/replace it. The second problem is then I'm concerned with the type of material I can use because of all the limestone so close to the surface. Any help is greatly appreciated. I would also like to know if anyone has suggestions for any kind of deciduous trees that can live amongst all the limestone. We are in dire need of shade around the house!!
Unless it is prohibited by your city, I would just build over the pipe. If there is a problem in the future, then I would just replace it outside the deck area. If you build a deck, sink down4x4's until they are on solid rock, and pour some concrete around them.

I would just build the deck out of whatever material you like best, wood, pavers, concrete.

Stamped concrete is very nice when done professionally and would be a great low maintenance choice if you can afford it.

What other types of trees are growing in your area?

What is the water line for, is it part of a sprinkler system?

Jamie

Advertisement

jamiedolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 08:06 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 25

CluelessnKansas, one thing you might want to consider is actually doing a raised patio this will minimize, if not eliminate excavation for the patio Also you can incorporate raised plating beds in your design, that way you can actually fill these with a quality planting media. For base design and materials, follow this link. http://www.goarticles.com/cgi-bin/showa.cgi?C=3087674 Also on that link, you can get additional design Ideas. Good luck, hope it works out for you.
Kurtzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 10:53 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 150

Sounds like you need to talk to the county farm agent, or someone in the nursey business first. Consider Ohio Buckeye trees for your soil. Everything depends on the quality of the soil . First select your type of trees , then put your patio of pavers within the shaded area. I have a picture in my head with your house entrance and exit doors at ground level, so no need for a wooden deck. You can make all kinds of exotic designs out of colored pavers might even make one that looks like a tornado ,like in Dorthy and toto. Its all in the placement of the trees. You may be in a walker when the trees are matured enough ,but you can refleck back on all your labor. Good luck............
bernieb is offline   Reply With Quote