Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-26-2008, 12:53 PM   #1
weekend warrior

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Voilets... how to get ride of them

When I bought my house last year we inherited a less than maintained lawn. I've been attempting to clean it up and get to some semblance of a mostly grass lawn. My primary target at the moment is an infestation of voilets.. any non-chemical herbicide solutions to this issue? Outside of digging them out one at a time.... it would take all summer.
Thanks.

Hobb3s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 06:14 AM   #2
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 32

I hope someone has an idea. I am in the same situation, I started digging this spring but after a coupl hours,gave up.I have tried 2 different weed killers to no avail.

chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 04:15 PM   #3

I had to hand dig all of ours out. It took a couple seasons (and still had some left this year that I dug out). I was going to try a spray-on brush killer but I didn't want to kill everything in the flower bed.

If you have a small cultivator (like a garden weezel) it will help, I just used that in the area and pulled out the violets easily. It was still a major job since the flower bed was literally crammed with them.
kimberland30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 12:41 PM   #4

I have had a similar problem and had some results with this: OrthoŽ Weed-B-GonŽ Chickweed, Clover and Oxalis Killer for Lawns. I found that treating the lawn aggressively with the Ortho product helped control spreading. Where I live now I have less of a problem with it and have decided to leave it. Good luck - it's a tough weed to get rid of.
champy2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 08:02 AM   #5
weekend warrior

Yeah, I've asked all over and the general consensus seems to be that you either use a lot of herbicide repeatedly, or you dig them out. I've been trying to avoid the herbicide because my wife is pregnant and she loves to hang out in the yard, so less chemicals is better. It looks like I'll need to dig them out of the lawn one at a time (wow that's going to take awhile). Ok, so any advice on how to convince my neighbor to dig them out of his lawn too so they don't spread back onto mine?
Hobb3s is offline   Reply With Quote