Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-06-2010, 11:24 AM   #1

Share |

Vinyl Fencing - Any good?

I have a chance to buy 100ft of used 3ft tall vinyl picket fencing with vinyl posts (picture attached). Fence is in pretty good shape, however, roughly 30-40 of the picket boards have come unglued to the 2x4's. Does anyone know if it's fairly easy to reattach with some form of adhesive? Any recommendations on what kind of adhesive?

Also, have you had experience with vinyl fences? Do they hold up well?

Seller is asking $200. Seem fair?

Thanks much.
Attached Thumbnails
Vinyl Fencing - Any good?-picket.jpg  
ruanddu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 02:22 PM   #2

...It appears that you already answered your own question, "do they hold up well" by stating that the pickets have already detached themselves from the 2x4's, indicating the fence system is falling apart even B4 you buy it! hence, it sounds like you are buying a pig in poke..besides, even well made Vinyl fences are too artificial looking and cheapens the appearance of you property. If you still want the fence, in lieo of trying to reglue them, try refastening the pickets to the 2x4's with a screw gun & a stainless washer head tek screw. You may have to drill a pilot hole 1st. Better buy a whole box of the screws.
rjhrjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 03:22 PM   #3
Landscape Contractor

I always try to avoid vinyl fencing. In my experience most vinyl fences fade in the sun and stain with age. For a little more money you would be able to buy the wood to build a superior fence. If you choose to salvage the fence be sure to ensure that the fasteners do not rust and stain your white vinyl.

Bart
MerlinConstruct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 04:54 PM   #4

If the pickets are hollow (i.e., no wood or filled interior), using screws to bolt the loose ones back on may be difficult, as well as visably noticable versus the unrepaired pickets. An alternative is to use an epoxy.

I did this on two of my vinyl pickets that came off a gate (apparently after being pulled on to close the gate too many times; came with my recently-acquired house). My epoxy repair (using a 2-part epoxy) has held true for the past 8 months. Only problem is that some of the epoxy residue exposed to the sun has turned a bit yellow. Can't see unless you're right on top of it, and I could always paint if motivated.
Itsdanf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 11:03 AM   #5

Composite is must more rigid and sturdy when comparing to vinyl. For my railings I used all composite. It was much more expensive but you can feel the difference in quality and strength.

I may be doing a vinyl fence but not all vinyl fences are equal. When researching I've found that cheaper companies use thinner vinyl material which makes them weaker.
HandyFrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 03:22 PM   #6

I bought PVC Vinyl Fencing over two summers ago and it is holding up really well. My fence came from a company near my house that actually makes the fence right in-house, so perhaps the better quality makes the difference. With this type of fence, I would definitely shy away from purchasing it used. Here's the link to the company I purchased from, Amechi Fence: http://www.amechifenceco.com
S.Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 01:00 AM   #7

The vinyl fence is likely PVC. PVC glue should work.
eric_miami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 07:09 PM   #8

Red face

Do not even think about buying those sections. The rest of the pickets will come apart in time the glue is not strong enough. I checked these out at Home Depot before buying mine from All Seasons Vinyl there is a huge difference in quality and they do not look good.
volvomaster is offline   Reply With Quote