Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-18-2010, 06:18 AM   #1

Share |

Vinyl Fencing

I am looking for quality vinyl fencing. The type that has metal in the rails. I checked out a big box store product and can see that their displayed product has a bow in the rail section; which indicates to me its not metal reinforced.
The product is made by "Verenda".
I want something that is not affected by weather changes except for normal expansion and contraction.

Last edited by rjordan393; 11-19-2010 at 07:05 AM.
rjordan393 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 05:29 AM   #2

Vinyl Fencing

Do I have to pull teeth to get a reply?
I assume there must be over a 1,000 members and no one has a vinyl fence???????
I have two contractors coming today and will make a decision by monday depending on who installs the best product. If at all I can determine who has the best product. I would have prefered to get some opinions based on experience.

rjordan393 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 08:44 AM   #3
The Fence Guy

Vinyl Fencing

We sell aluminum rail inserts separately from the panels. Not on the website YET (hopefully in a week or so), but you can call and we'll take care of you.
http://www.nationwidevinyl.com
TheFenceGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 12:56 PM   #4

Vinyl Fencing

Fence Guy, has there been any inprovement in the "look" of vinyl fencing. Just don't like the look of the ones i've seen. Can you get it in a more natural looking texture thats maybe not so slick and shiny looking? thanks
Mike in Arkansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 05:02 PM   #5

Vinyl Fencing

I don't have experience with these fences, but here are a few of many results from googling 'how to select a vinyl fence' that may help.

http://www.hooverfence.com/vinyl_fen...inyl-fence.htm

http://www2.ocregister.com/howto/cat...s/home/page29/

http://www.buydirectvinylfence.com/b...ould-i-choose/
Old 09-06-2011, 07:47 AM   #6
The Fence Guy

Vinyl Fencing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike in Arkansas View Post
Fence Guy, has there been any inprovement in the "look" of vinyl fencing. Just don't like the look of the ones i've seen. Can you get it in a more natural looking texture thats maybe not so slick and shiny looking? thanks
The amount of shine is related to the amount of UV protector in the outer layer. I agree that it doesn't look like wood, but whether you like the look or not is a personal choice. We used to make some wood textured panels, but they weren't as durable as the standard panels. We do make tan fencing, and black ranch-rail fence. The black isn't on the website yet but it will be soon. It is more matte than the white is.

We will be selling some fencing soon that actually looks like stone; it will probably go up on our website in another month or so. This stuff is so real-looking that when I first saw it, I couldn't believe my eyes! It is stronger than regular vinyl fencing, too. It's pricy, though.
TheFenceGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 11:50 AM   #7

Vinyl Fencing

Thanks Fence Guy. Looks like I will be sticking with wood. Appreciate the time you took to answer my question.
Old 11-28-2011, 08:47 AM   #8

Vinyl Fencing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike in Arkansas View Post
Thanks Fence Guy. Looks like I will be sticking with wood. Appreciate the time you took to answer my question.

I just read your question about the look of the vinyl fence vs real wood fence as well as the question about aluminum in the rails - is this not normal for all fence products? We just decided to purchase vinyl fence from these folks: http://www.globalfenceandgate.com/vinyl-fence.php because they had the best warranty, price and the style we liked. We chose vinyl because it is supposed to last longer than wood w/o warping etc. I'm curious if you did end up sticking to the wood you had or if you found a vinyl fence product you liked. We don't mind about the "shine" on the vinyl - we're trying to avoid repainting an old wood fence every so often!
homemomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 08:20 PM   #9

Vinyl Fencing

Hi Homemomma. The site you listed has some really nice looking fences. If they only looked as good in real life as they do in the pictures I would be more than happy with a few of those styles. I haven't actually gotten around to doing any fence yet. Still recovering from heart bypass surgery. The reason I didn't really want vinyl is because our house is coming up on 100 years old and I wanted something that would be appropriate to it's age. I think vinyl for a newer home makes lots of sense.
Old 12-21-2011, 10:43 AM   #10

Vinyl Fencing

Hope you recover quickly from your surgery! Happy Holidays!!!
homemomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 02:06 PM   #11

Vinyl Fencing

I see this thread is pretty much resolved, but if I may add one last tid-bit, there are some good Vinyl Fences with whats called a "Flat" paint coating so it does not have the glazed shiny look. If anyone would still be looking for vinyl fence with a wood look, you might want to take a look at whats called "CertaGrain" texture. It is an option on most Bufftech Vinyl fence products giving the vinyl fence a look that resembles wood, but obviously, is vinyl.

There's some good pictures of some of the actual product aaaat:
http://www.fence-it.com/vinyl_fence/certagrain.html
http://discountfence.com/vinyl_fence...ect-cedar.html

There's numerous different styles of it, but the ones that say "CertaGrain" are going to have that wood-style texture to them.

Secondly, another option, which in my opinion looks much more like wood than even the textured products, is "Vinyl Split Rail"
http://discountfence.com/vinyl_split...split_rail.htm

It's.. Split Rail.. But vinyl I helped a neighbor install it a few years ago and its held very well. Comes with thick heavy-duty aluminum inserts that you place into the posts which allow it to be very sturdy. We even had a tractor bump into a post section and the flexibility of the vinyl allowed it to stretch in a little, and bump out again afterwards and the aluminum post kept it in place. Pretty nifty stuff they got out there.

Sorry for my "rebirth" of the thread >.> I hope I was at least semi-useful

iLoveFence is offline   Reply With Quote