Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-23-2012, 08:40 AM   #1

Share |

Using Concrete as Paver Base?

Hello all,

I just broke up an old concrete walkway, which we are planning on replacing with pavers. Since I have a bunch of old concrete now, some already seemingly in a great size for base, I was wonder if I could recycle to old walkway as base?

I'd have some hard work ahead to break up the rest, but it would be doable. Perhaps there is a secret way that makes it really easy?

The old walkway concrete would not be enough to handle all the base needed for the new walkway, so I would be mix in some store bought base as well. What are people's thoughts about going this route?

Thanks for any tips!

Boiler98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 12:48 PM   #2

I'd clear out all of the concrete and do the base properly. Otherwise it is unlikely to stay level, especially if you are in frost regions. Then you'll have to redo the walk AND dispose of all that concrete. Do it right the first time and you'll cut the overall work in half.

The secret to getting rid of the concrete is to get someone in with a bobcat and a truck and not monkey around with trying to break it up and lift it piece by piece. Local asphalt plants might take it for a few bucks a ton. Really, concrete is heavy, it's worth the money to get the right equipment. I had 10 tons of concrete cleared out of my backyard in about 2 hrs, cost a few hundred bucks but it was worth it.

Thunder Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Thunder Chicken For This Useful Post:
user1007 (07-25-2012)
Old 07-25-2012, 07:55 PM   #3
Too Short? Cut it Again!

You need a nice compacted gravel and sand base for pavers. If you try to place them on concrete chunks you will never hold a level surface for long, will create a trip/fall hazard, and will also crack the pavers on a regular basis.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 08:39 AM   #4
DIY-er

I would not use the concrete unless you can grind it down to the size of 1" aggregate. If you are in an area with winters below freezing, the concrete will shrink and swell with the seasons, resulting in uplift on the pavers.

Concrete is sometimes used as a road base at intersections, but then a 4-6 in layer of 1" aggregate is laid on top before the cobblestone, pavers or asphalt.
KevinPh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 10:09 AM   #5

Thanks for the tips all. We removed all the concrete from the yard a few days ago and the new base comes Monday. We weren't going to go through the trouble of breaking everything up -- this project is enough of a pain already!
Boiler98 is offline   Reply With Quote