Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-10-2012, 06:58 PM   #1

Share |

Using air to blow out a sprinkler system

I have Orbit inline sprinkler valves and when I charge the system with air to blow them out I can't operate the valves electrically. Is there something I'm missing? I've been operating each valve manually but some valves are buried pretty well in the ground.
Thanks

deverson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 12:37 PM   #2
Too Short? Cut it Again!

If you look at top of the valve body, you should notice a fairly obvious screw or hex nut distinct from anything else on it. This is your manual override screw and will allow you to open the valve to whatever extent you have the flow control knob set to let it open. Just open this screw and the valve should open as if you had activated the solenoid. Remember to screw it back in! Beware that if it has never been used there is a tiny washer or o-ring that might fracture so don't be surprised if you have to replace it. In addition for your purpose at hand, this manual screw comes in handy when you are adjusting sprinklers and flow to them and do not want to have to run all the way back to your controller.

Here is an illustration of a valve, with callouts added, that hopefully looks something like yours? Post again if you hit a snag.

Last edited by user1007; 10-11-2012 at 12:40 PM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 06:26 PM   #3

I am able to operate each zone manually in the yard, not a problem. Just trying to figure out why they don't operate with air pressure and electrically from the nice warm basement. Seems as though whenever I open them out in the yard they are pointed directly at me. I may need a shower but I don't want a shower!
Thanks
deverson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 09:54 AM   #4
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Not sure why you are having trouble. Some valves will not open without pressure and flow (air or water) behind them. So if you are trying to open the valve and then flooding with air, you might switch that around and fill with air first and then see if the solenoid opens the valve?
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote