Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-22-2013, 03:23 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Type of PVC for my drain

I am looking into putting a french drain down the side and across the back of my property. Total length will be around 110'. I am curious as to what kinds of pipe to buy. I decided I am against corrugated because I want something I can easily clear out.

A little background. I have a lot of water that flows down the side of my driveway from our road. At the house end of the driveway the water tends to pool and eventually flows across the surface around the back of the property. The ground does not absorb the water well as it has a high clay content.

My plan is to put a catch basin/drain at the end of the driveway where the water collects and put a solid 4" pipe underground to keep the water off the surface. I was going to put in perforated PVC but with the clay I was fearful it would clog and be pointless. Any recommendations on this? Also I was curious as to pipe strength. At lowes they sell at 4" sewer grade solid PVC, they sell a triple-wall PVC, and then they sell a solid core PVC. The solid core is the most with the sewer grade being in the middle. I was going to go sewer grade unless it would be recommended to use perforated which only comes in the triple core.

Any ideas on what to buy in regards to core strength and perforations knowing the ground contains a lot of clay?

The water basically starts down the driveway and pools by the trashcan. The mulch I put down typically slows it down but it flows at the base of the plants to the back yard. From there it takes a straight shot from the corner of the garage down between the tree and the pool and eventually goes to the arborvitaes at the shed.
Attached Thumbnails
Type of PVC for my drain-img_1799.jpg   Type of PVC for my drain-img_1802.jpg   Type of PVC for my drain-img_1800.jpg   Type of PVC for my drain-img_1801.jpg  

Last edited by DTZee; 03-22-2013 at 04:00 PM.
DTZee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 03:37 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 3,352

Type of PVC for my drain

How do you plan on running 110' of pipe with the required slope.
Unless you live on a cliff it's not going to happen.
Got some pictures of the yard?

joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 03:53 PM   #3

Type of PVC for my drain

I'll post some pictures. From start to finish there is about a 4' total drop. The total length may be less, that was a quick measure walked off. My man goal is to get the water below ground. Currently the water under heavy rain actually flows across the ground with the slope it currently has. I was hopefully I could just get the excess water from the road underground so my dogs are not destroying my yard like you will see.
Old 03-22-2013, 03:53 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,300

Type of PVC for my drain

Sewer grade gets my vote. We call it PVC 3034 in my area.
Old 03-22-2013, 04:10 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 3,352

Type of PVC for my drain

Often times a few swales (low spots) can be made to redirect the water before it gets to the house.
I've gone so far as to use a small retaining wall, or digging a trench and filling with stone covering with screen cloth then top soil to get the water off the surface.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 06:47 PM   #6

Type of PVC for my drain

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Often times a few swales (low spots) can be made to redirect the water before it gets to the house.
I've gone so far as to use a small retaining wall, or digging a trench and filling with stone covering with screen cloth then top soil to get the water off the surface.
I actually though about doing a trench of stone. Any clue on how wide and how deep?
Old 03-25-2013, 08:41 AM   #7
Master General ReEngineer

Rewards Points: 2,000

Type of PVC for my drain

Ayuh,.... In this picture, I'd cut a swale further away from the house, 'n let the water flow away, on top of ground...

Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 01:18 PM   #8

Type of PVC for my drain

Well here is a little update. Turns out I am going to have problems with my utilities. I was going to make an elevated bed around the area in white and cut put a low point around that but I dont know if I can. The utilities are marked in red. At some point it would have to cross them unless you guys can give me some more advice. Pictures are attached after a heavy rain.
Attached Thumbnails
Type of PVC for my drain-image-879641921.jpg   Type of PVC for my drain-image-3277272195.jpg