Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-29-2013, 08:02 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 150

Trying to find a chipper/mulcher to shred grass/weeds/leaves/branches

No luck finding something that'll eat small branches, grass, weeds, leaves. I take a scythe to the overgrown yards around here and kill off the tall grass, sometimes 4-6 foot tall weeds come down, bits of woody branch-like material, etc. Trying to shove this through an $80 Toro vac doesn't work--wet grass.

I need something that'll accept both wet grass and dry leaves and is electric. Small branches should be acceptable; larger branches probably need a dedicated chipper. Essentially what you'd expect if you cut down an overgrown, weed-infested lawn and just dumped it into the top, looking for little pieces out the bottom.

A few hundred bucks seems okay, $500 $800 $1000 is overkill for me. I don't mind dealing with a chipper for branches, but I want a leaf-grass-twig machine because pre-sorting lawn refuse is laborious. Obviously if I'm pruning trees I can stick the branches in something else.

Any suggestions?

Old 08-29-2013, 08:26 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 540

I have one of these. It's $530. It won't so much for grass but it eats everything else. I have an older model that reduces 7 bags of stuff to 1.

It's nice because it chips, shreds, and vacuums. Sears has the same machine rebranded. I got mine in the clearance center and saved some $$.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_409078-270-2...der&facetInfo=

Old 08-29-2013, 08:42 PM   #3

That's interesting, but I'm winding up with what's essentially 3-6 foot long single pieces of wet grass, mixed with small branches and twigs. What I end up with is a giant solid mass of organic matter that doesn't break up without applying force to pull pieces apart.

I mean, those grass clippings are 2-3 feet long, and there's 5 foot tall weed stalks in there. It's a pretty cohesive lump. Think like if you didn't mow your lawn until August, and then took a samurai sword 1 inch from the ground and just cut it all down in one sweep.
Old 08-29-2013, 08:49 PM   #4

It would work if you could let the clippings dry out before shredding. If you put wet grass through anything that shreds it's going to turn to mush and gum up the machine.
Old 08-29-2013, 08:51 PM   #5

Interesting. How does that affect composting? Reduces nitrogen a bit?

Should I just be keeping these in the grass bags for a day or so and then running them through? Might actually be a better deal. It's too bad I can't shred the bags too.
Old 08-29-2013, 09:00 PM   #6

I think it speeds composting as it reduces the size of the material and it mixes it up. When I do my garden and yard weeding/pruning I put it thru the shredder before it goes in the composter.

The vacuum will suck most of the leafy stuff and small branches. Toss it on the ground and push the machine over it.
Old 08-29-2013, 09:26 PM   #7

yeah I know that much, but I mean letting the stuff dry out. It's going to lose a bit more than just water.
Old 08-29-2013, 10:37 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 1,000

Craigslist...
Old 08-30-2013, 07:42 PM   #9
MarginallyQualified

Rewards Points: 2,034

Hire someone to haul off your debris.
The city might even do it for free.
TarheelTerp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 07:48 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarheelTerp View Post
Hire someone to haul off your debris.
The city might even do it for free.
But then I wouldn't be able to put it to any use.