Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-22-2011, 01:08 PM   #1

Share |

trying to decide on a deck or patio

Looking for thoughts on whether to go with a deck or patio.

I like having a raised deck so I can walk out my back door and not have to step down, but I like the maintenance idea of stone. I've looked at some composite decking options, but not sure what to go with.

Any advice?
EPERRINGTON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 01:54 PM   #2

How many steps down from floor to ground, and how level is the back yard?

If it's more than one or two steps down, a deck will feel more a part of the indoors, while a patio will feel more a part of the yard.

Decks don't puddle water and breed mosquitos. Patios don't burn if your grill gets a hole in it. Decks are easier to add things to, like built in seating. Patios don't give splinters.

I like both decks and patios. No reason you have to pick one or the other, if you have room.
pyper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 04:18 PM   #3

The height would be about 30 inches and my wife is set on something elevated. Any thoughts on how to incorporate stone at an elevation.
Old 03-22-2011, 04:35 PM   #4
nap
You talking to me?

well built patios do not require nearly as much maintenance as a wood deck.

Is the area of the home under the deck able to withstand dirt being placed directly against it ? Can you attach a retaining wall to the house where you would want the patio to meet the house?

would stamped concrete be something you would be interested in?

http://www.google.com/images?rlz=1C1...w=1261&bih=891
nap is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nap For This Useful Post:
EPERRINGTON (03-22-2011)
Old 03-22-2011, 05:58 PM   #5

I have poured concrete walls for my basement and I will need to pull the bottom 12 or so inches of siding off. Besides that I think I can attach to the house, dig add dirt as needed. I like the idea of stamped concrete and some of it looks really nice. Probably need to hire that job out.
Old 03-22-2011, 06:00 PM   #6
nap
You talking to me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by EPERRINGTON View Post
Probably need to hire that job out.
most people do simply because the molds are way too expensive to consider it a DIY one time project.
nap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 06:54 PM   #7

I had a patio with 2 steps down to it attached to the house when we bought it. We had a deck built on top of it. I will say being able to come out on to a level surface is fantastic. We used Fiberon composite decking. No maintenance. Www.fiberondecking.com. We love it. I will say the most common negative about Fiberon is that it gets hot under foot. We get very little direct sun so ours is just fine. It is actually composite decking wrapped in PVC so it is extremely durable. We have an 80 lb lab and we have no scratches to show for it.

All that being said I plan on adding a stone patio off the deck. So I say go for both!
garback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 07:07 PM   #8

The deck/patio I am considering will be roughly 16 x 40 with a patio out front in the middle so I can put a firepit in it. I really like the idea of coming out on one level too.

Problem is I am not sure how to complete the patio at a 30 inch height. I've built decks before and put in patios, but never a patio at a height......
Old 03-22-2011, 07:16 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by EPERRINGTON
The deck/patio I am considering will be roughly 16 x 40 with a patio out front in the middle so I can put a firepit in it. I really like the idea of coming out on one level too.

Problem is I am not sure how to complete the patio at a 30 inch height. I've built decks before and put in patios, but never a patio at a height......
16 x 40 is huge! I would do a deck at 16 x 20 and a patio with fireplace of the same size. You would get the best of both worlds. Come out of the house on one level but still have the lower patio with fire pit. I can see it now...
garback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 07:46 PM   #10

I agree 16x40 is pretty big, but I have about 2 acres of lawn behind my house and I'm getting tired of mowing it all!!!!

Just a thought, but for a raised stone or tile patio. Is it possible to build the frame from treated wood and then lay plywood and concrete board down and but the stone/tile, etc over the top?

Thoughts???
Old 03-23-2011, 09:07 AM   #11

You can pour a concrete slab (block foundation and pans). Then you can put stone or tile or whatever your want on the slab.

But with a 16x40 space I agree with the prior person. Make it multiple levels. Some deck, some patio.
pyper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 11:52 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyper View Post
Make it multiple levels. Some deck, some patio.

I agree completely. No matter how much detail you put into it, a deck is more-or-less a deck, and too much of anything just plain detracts from everything around it. Something like a horseshoe shaped deck with steps down to a grade level patio, or however you want to configure it, could make a very enviable place to relax and/or entertain guests.
DexterII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 11:59 AM   #13
the Musigician

EPERRINGTON: Please do not post duplicate threads on the same subject.

Thank You

DM
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote