Trouble Growing Grass - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-14-2010, 11:54 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Trouble Growing Grass

I installed five yards of top soil two and a half weeks ago along three areas of my home's foundation. I graded the soil away from the house creating a slope that I hope will assure water drainage away from the foundation. I am a new home owner and this was my second straight Spring with standing water against the foundation. I had professional plumbers come in and look at the situation and all but one of them said I should have the yard landscaped as a way to guard against standing water.

Anyhow, I have used six bags of Scott's Patchmaster to seed the soil. I watered the soil three times a day for the first week and once sometimes twice a day for the week after. You will see from my photos... I have inconsistent results. Of the six bags I have used for this project I am really pleased with only one. As you will see in the first photo, the bag was laid out near an air conditioning unit. I wonder if the unit played a role in the success of that bag... you'll see, after two and a half weeks I have a carpet of grass. As you view the photo, you will see beyond that first bag... that there is far lesser growth in bag two... beyond bag two at the home's corner you will see the beginning of bag three... three is a more successful bag with nice growth, but not a full carpet like bag one.

In the second photo you will see two bags laid out around the corner at the end of the house depicted in the first photo. The growth is good here... not great like bag one, but good.

In the third photo you will another, separate section of the foundation where three different bags were laid out. You will see some growth closest to you, very little to no growth in the middle section (where the window well is) and some fair growth at the very top near the flower bed. Each of these distinct areas represent a different bag.

Last Tuesday I called Scott's to complain about my experience and I was told to wait another week to see if the bag with no growth sprouted up. Well, it hasn't really sprouted. Sure, there's a blade here and there... but it's mostly failed. At this point I have been credited the cost of one bag.

My questions for you... what do you think about the areas of fair growth? Will they over time more fully develop and end up like the first bag? Should I be doing anything at this stage in the process to encourage more growth out of those bags? I'm thinking I might want to lay in some bare seed or more Patchmaster. I'm feeling really confident about that first bag and I'm convinced it will end up well. I'm not so sure about the other bags.

Also, what should I do about that bag which isn't growing? Do I need to rake it and plant a new bag of Scott's Patchmaster or could I just lay more Patchmaster on top of the old? Thank you for considering my questions.

Phil
Attached Thumbnails
Trouble Growing Grass-1.jpg   Trouble Growing Grass-2.jpg   Trouble Growing Grass-3.jpg  

Advertisement

Last edited by aumanpj; 07-15-2010 at 12:08 AM.
aumanpj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 12:38 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 150

Trouble Growing Grass

It doesn't look like you have trouble growing grass, you have trouble getting a decent product. The picture that has the AC unit in the corner; that line of good grass-bare dirt is from two different bags, no? One worked, the other didn't, right?

I'd ditch the Patchmaster route and get an appropriate seed blend for your lawn/geographic area. A local garden center is probably a better choice than the Box stores. Spread the seed, work it in and cover w/ straw or salt hay. water, water, water.

It will work far better than the diluted seed/mulch blend.

Advertisement

cgoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 01:09 PM   #3
DIY'er

Rewards Points: 1,000

Trouble Growing Grass

Quote:
Originally Posted by aumanpj View Post
I installed five yards of top soil two and a half weeks ago along three areas of my home's foundation. I graded the soil away from the house creating a slope that I hope will assure water drainage away from the foundation. I am a new home owner and this was my second straight Spring with standing water against the foundation. I had professional plumbers come in and look at the situation and all but one of them said I should have the yard landscaped as a way to guard against standing water.

Anyhow, I have used six bags of Scott's Patchmaster to seed the soil. I watered the soil three times a day for the first week and once sometimes twice a day for the week after. You will see from my photos... I have inconsistent results. Of the six bags I have used for this project I am really pleased with only one. As you will see in the first photo, the bag was laid out near an air conditioning unit. I wonder if the unit played a role in the success of that bag... you'll see, after two and a half weeks I have a carpet of grass. As you view the photo, you will see beyond that first bag... that there is far lesser growth in bag two... beyond bag two at the home's corner you will see the beginning of bag three... three is a more successful bag with nice growth, but not a full carpet like bag one.

In the second photo you will see two bags laid out around the corner at the end of the house depicted in the first photo. The growth is good here... not great like bag one, but good.

In the third photo you will another, separate section of the foundation where three different bags were laid out. You will see some growth closest to you, very little to no growth in the middle section (where the window well is) and some fair growth at the very top near the flower bed. Each of these distinct areas represent a different bag.

Last Tuesday I called Scott's to complain about my experience and I was told to wait another week to see if the bag with no growth sprouted up. Well, it hasn't really sprouted. Sure, there's a blade here and there... but it's mostly failed. At this point I have been credited the cost of one bag.

My questions for you... what do you think about the areas of fair growth? Will they over time more fully develop and end up like the first bag? Should I be doing anything at this stage in the process to encourage more growth out of those bags? I'm thinking I might want to lay in some bare seed or more Patchmaster. I'm feeling really confident about that first bag and I'm convinced it will end up well. I'm not so sure about the other bags.

Also, what should I do about that bag which isn't growing? Do I need to rake it and plant a new bag of Scott's Patchmaster or could I just lay more Patchmaster on top of the old? Thank you for considering my questions.

Phil
How packed down in your soil (I know it is new, but depending on whats in the soil it might be anywhere from loose to compact)? Is it heavy clay?

I'd buy a few bags of peat moss. Break it loose into a fine powder, spread it over the whole area, lightly work it in with a garden rake. Spread some new grass seed, either a local mix or a product like a scotts turf builder seed mix. Then top it with another fine layer of peat. Make sure you water it well enough that all of the peat is wet. If any of it doesn't get wet, stir it up a little bit and make sure it gets wet.
Keep it constantly moist for the next 2 - 3 weeks - Never allowing it to dry out even for a short time.

Jamie
jamiedolan is offline   Reply With Quote