Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-08-2009, 04:58 PM   #1

Share |

Trimming evergreen trees/shrubs

I have a string of evergreen trees ( I will call them trees since they are 8 to 12 feet tall, but they might more accurately be called shrubs) along my rear property line. I expect they were initially planted about 10-12 years ago as a privacy fence, but they are now overgrown and need thinning. Any suggestions on when and how to do this ?

Steve

SPS-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 05:08 PM   #2
Don't know it all, yet!

A. What are they? You need to find out at least whether they are junipers, viburnum, hollies, etc.
B. Your definition of "thinning?" Prune them to be more upright?
C. What is your goal here? Do you need to get them off of a fence, out of the neighbor's yard, etc?

Most evergreens do not respond very well to pruning. Some do very well, some not at all. For those that do tolerate pruning, this is a good time to do it.

Old 02-11-2009, 03:30 PM   #3

I too have a few blue spruce on my property. They are both about 15 ft. tall. The best time to prune these trees is mid fall. I have someone come in once a year to do this. I also have two large hedges (spreading yews) They are also done in the fall. Living in Pa. they need only be done once a year.
River City Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 05:31 PM   #4
Don't know it all, yet!

Quote:
I too have a few blue spruce on my property.
River City,
The OP must have gotten lost since he did not identify what his shrub/trees are. I don't mean to discredit your information for your shrubs, in fact a yearly shaping there is just fine, but we still don't know what the shrubs in the original question are. Do we?