Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-23-2013, 03:01 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 500

Trimming 75' Beach Trees?

In my backyard are (2) 75' beautiful beach trees. Unfortunately, they were damaged due to the grading of our new home, which was built in 2007. As a result I had Bartlett Tree Experts come out and try to save them using something called Root Invigoration. A very expensive, yet effective process.

That seemed to work very well. However, there are a few lower branches that have died, which are a bit of an eyesore. I just had an independent tree company provide me with an estimate to trim off the dead branches.

The owner of the company, who has been doing this for 26 years, suggested I trim off all of the lower branches, which includes some of the dead stuff, up to about 20'. He said doing so would help direct more of the nutrients to the upper branches where they're needed. He referred to the lower branches as sucker branches, which I've heard before, but never on trees this large.

Before I proceed, I just want to make sure I'm getting good information. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

kcrossley2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 05:07 PM   #2
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2,092

I worked for Bartlett for over 20 years. What the independent clown is telling you is not true. You can(if you want) trim off the lower branches, but IMO, it would destroy the characteristics of the Beech. The lower branches are certainly not sucker branches

chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 05:13 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisn View Post
I worked for Bartlett for over 20 years. What the independent clown is telling you is not true. You can(if you want) trim off the lower branches, but IMO, it would destroy the characteristics of the Beech. The lower branches are certainly not sucker branches
Thanks for you post Chris. Quite frankly, I was a little suspicious myself. Bartlett told me that for every branch there is a corresponding root, so if a particular branch dies off it's likely because the root was damaged.

What should I do about the dead branches? Should I let them fall off naturally or should I cut them off? Also, is there anything I can do to help these trees recover?
kcrossley2 is offline   Reply With Quote