Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-23-2008, 10:47 PM   #1

Share |

Trimmers

HI

I am planning to buy a gas string trimmer and trying to figure out which one to get. I want to get either an echo, troybilt, or stihl. I got some pretty hard to reach areas and some rough spots so I figure i go with a straight shaft and 2 cycle engine since its cheaper and lighter, I dont mind the mixing oil and gas part. I really dont want to waste my money buying one every year or so, so I want to buy the one that will last the longest. Does anyone have any suggestions, brand/model? past experience?

Thanks

thewizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 11:53 PM   #2
Kap
Mowing my life away.

Trimmers

I bought a Toro at Home Depot for $119. I got the split shaft model so I could use the various attachments with it.

I subjected that thing to three years of commercial use. Some days for six hours or more. Some of it quite abusive. I've busted up rock hard clay soils with the cultivator attachment, cleared acres of hau trees (fairly soft wood) and a small forest's worth of guava and other hardwood trees with the pole saw and probably weed whacked a continent's worth of weeds with the string head.

Then, one day, it just wouldn't start. Probably a loose wire as it seems it just doesn't want to spark. It's in the equipment shed right now, and one of these days, I'll get around to checking it out to see what it is.

Had I just been using it for regular residential use around the house, I bet I would've got ten years out of it.

I got so much use out of it for the price I paid, that it made it reaaaalllllll hard to spend money on a top of the line Shindaiwa.

Kap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 11:57 PM   #3
Kap
Mowing my life away.

Trimmers

I also have an Echo that can be a pain to get started, but after that, it runs like a champ.

And in the future, I don't plan on buying anything other than Shindaiwa. I have an M2510 and wouldn't consider anything else. It's lighter, quiter and runs cleaner than any other I've tried.
Old 07-25-2008, 10:57 PM   #4

Trimmers

Thanks for responding kap,

I have had a toro lawn mower for about a year now and never had any problems with it. I shopuld look into toro trimmers too. do you have any model recomm? i cant seem to find the one you are refering to above. Shindaiwa is just way too expensive for me though. I really dont want to spend more than 200 on this. Echo i notriced has good reviews and all but there are other brands that offer much more for less price.

Here is a troy bilt that I am considering
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0007LJQZ2?...0&linkCode=asn
a stihl
http://www.stihldealer.net/productde...rodid-483.aspx
a echo_but i really want a stright shaft and that one is a bit more $
http://www.stihldealer.net/productde...rodid-483.aspx
Old 07-25-2008, 11:03 PM   #5

Trimmers

Also, if you know of any good split shaft models, that would be my top choice now considering I am going to have to cultivate my whole yard over and I was thinking about just renting a cultivator but if i can just have an attachment on the trimmer that would be so much better.
Old 07-26-2008, 02:33 AM   #6
Kap
Mowing my life away.

Trimmers

I'll dig mine out tomorrow and get you the model number.

I may even try to fix it.
Old 07-26-2008, 10:10 AM   #7

Trimmers

just got off the phone with toro people and found out they dont make gas trimmers any longer.