Tree Removal Question - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-08-2008, 01:21 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 79

Tree Removal Question

Next to our new home there is a pine-type tree about 20' tall and about 6" wide at the biggest part of the trunk. Its in a bad place as the sewage line runs out of the house close by and I don't want the roots eventually looking for water so I plan on taking it down.
My question is how can I be sure the roots are dead after I've gotten the tree down? Is there anything I can use on the trunk to take care of the roots?

Advertisement

jte1130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 01:41 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,018

Tree Removal Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by jte1130 View Post
Next to our new home there is a pine-type tree about 20' tall and about 6" wide at the biggest part of the trunk. Its in a bad place as the sewage line runs out of the house close by and I don't want the roots eventually looking for water so I plan on taking it down.
My question is how can I be sure the roots are dead after I've gotten the tree down? Is there anything I can use on the trunk to take care of the roots?
You can use a stump remover. But, it's a long process.

First you let the stump dry out for 6 months. Then you drill holes and apply the powder. Later, they recommend you pouring kerosene into the stump and burn it.

Advertisement

handy man88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 03:22 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 79

Tree Removal Question

Guess I'll have to go with the stump remover chemical as burning is not an option. Its too close to the house and I'm in a residential area.

Thanks
jte1130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 07:37 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,018

Tree Removal Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by jte1130 View Post
Guess I'll have to go with the stump remover chemical as burning is not an option. Its too close to the house and I'm in a residential area.

Thanks
The ad says that if you light up the stump with kerosene, it smolders, but is no danger.

You can buy this at Home Depot.

http://www.eburgess.com/detail.asp?pid=8460
handy man88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 02:13 AM   #5
Kap
Mowing my life away.

Rewards Points: 250

Tree Removal Question

You can use Tordon- main ingredient is 2,4d or Garlon-main ingredient is triclopyr. Any brand with those ingredients will do the same job. You apply it to the stump immediately after cutting. use a paint brush and soak the cambium layer. Be sure to read the labels.

I've also used Roundup on smaller trees after cutting.
Kap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 04:02 AM   #6
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2,228

Tree Removal Question

If you cut the tree down, the roots most likely will not be an issue.
chrisn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 01:19 PM   #7
Kap
Mowing my life away.

Tree Removal Question

With a healthy root system the tree can and will regenerate growth and continue to live.
Old 09-09-2008, 01:49 PM   #8
Mold!! Let's kill it!

Rewards Points: 2,012

Tree Removal Question

I've never seen an evergreen tree regenerate from roots. Deciduous trees, yes. Evergreens? not that I've ever heard. Cut the trunk down to ground level and forget about it. It's only a 6" stump, take an axe to it. It will rot up and disappear. Even the roots of a deciduous tree will die if you keep the new shoots mowed off.
Maintenance 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 06:18 PM   #9
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2,228

Tree Removal Question

I've never seen an evergreen tree regenerate from roots. Deciduous trees, yes. Evergreens? not that I've ever heard. Cut the trunk down to ground level and forget about it. It's only a 6" stump, take an axe to it. It will rot up and disappear. Even the roots of a deciduous tree will die if you keep the new shoots mowed off.

Right!
chrisn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 06:39 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 10

Tree Removal Question

As a Forest Technician/Urban Forester I have to agree that after it's cut as low to the ground as you can get it, forget about it, cover it with some soil and it'll rot away, roots and all. It may even leave a bit of a depression in a few years after it's completely decayed.

Coniferous trees don't resprout from the roots.
leafyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 01:18 AM   #11
Kap
Mowing my life away.

Tree Removal Question

They do here. But a lot of rules don't seem to apply here. I've seen Norfolks do it, and Ironwoods are the worst, especially for root suckers.

Advertisement