Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-15-2010, 01:38 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

Tree Removal - determining which ones

Last winter we had a large branch come down and took out the power, cable and phone lines on our property, leaving us with quite a headache and a $200 electrician bill to re-attach the power line to the house. Fortunately, the cable and phone companies took care of their respective lines.

I can already see this happening again if we don't take action on some of the trees and branches in our yard. So I am wondering, how do you and a tree expert determine which trees really need to come down when any removal is really in their best interest?

I was thinking of calling an arborist for a consultation, but the local arborists are also tree removal companies. I wish I could get an unbiased opinion as to which trees really pose a problem vs just removing trees to increase the bill.

Anyone have experience in this area?

the1hangingchad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 03:11 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 10

Your local agricultural university program could help here.

Any tree that can fall over and take out a line is red flagged for removal. You make the decision or take the chance.

Usually the part that breaks off there is a deformity to where the branches split. If there is a depression to allow water and crud to collect in the crotch of the two branches , it's going to be a weak area. Your oaks and maples will do some serious damage since you don't know until it's too late.

framerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 03:45 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,000

I opted to have my service feed buried
I needed a new panel & feed
and I had a backhoe that I could use.........
I've had 3 branches come down in the past few years
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 09:23 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,026

If you shorten a branch, you greatly reduce the chances of its cracking off and falling and pulling down wires, even if the branch still hangs over the wires somewhat.

If you don't mind, you can bring the arborist over for a quick partial job now to remove the obvious problmmatical branches from all of the relevant trees. Then optionally do a part two later after you have had a chance to mull over what fine tuning you want to do.

Last edited by AllanJ; 08-15-2010 at 09:39 PM.
AllanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 07:15 PM   #5
Don't know it all, yet!

Rewards Points: 500

Do I understand that there are no arborists in your area who are not affiliated with a tree business? Even so, a professional arborist should give you an appropriate assessment and all of several should agree in substance if you get multiple quotes. Then pick the one you feel most comfortable with.

Aside from the business of it, an arborist should give you an assessment based on the health of the tree and that should not change between different individuals to any significant degree. For instance, if the tree shows dying in the crown that indicates a root problem, all should pick up on that if they are qualified professionals. If two tell you something is a problem and a third does not, that would raise a red flag to me.

In addition to the health of the tree, an experienced arborist should be able to guide you in shaping the tree. PLEASE DO NOT ALLOW SOMEONE TO GO IN AND JUST TOP A TREE! Reducing the crown and thinning are two different procedures.

Edit:
I forgot to mention that many local governments have a city or county arborist.

Last edited by downunder; 08-16-2010 at 07:19 PM.
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote