Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-13-2010, 08:51 PM   #1

Share |
Question

Tree decision

I'm currently doing some landscaping in the front yard and want to plant a tree or two. I'm leaning towards the Bloodgood Japanese Maple but also like the Red Japanese Maple, Prairie Fire Flowering Crap and the Thunder Cloud Flowering Plum. Anyone experienced with these especially the Bloodgood? The front yard faces east with no shade so sun will be plentiful. Just wanted to know on maintenance as well as growth. Is the Bloodgood a good choice? I may plant the Red Japanese Maple also in somewhat of a shaded area, is this a bad idea?

nsb318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 10:14 PM   #2

Tree decision

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsb318 View Post
I'm currently doing some landscaping in the front yard and want to plant a tree or two. I'm leaning towards the Bloodgood Japanese Maple but also like the Red Japanese Maple, Prairie Fire Flowering Crap and the Thunder Cloud Flowering Plum. Anyone experienced with these especially the Bloodgood? The front yard faces east with no shade so sun will be plentiful. Just wanted to know on maintenance as well as growth. Is the Bloodgood a good choice? I may plant the Red Japanese Maple also in somewhat of a shaded area, is this a bad idea?
The only drawback of the blood good is that you won't see much change in color of the leaves over the seasons. It'll generally be dark red/purple.

Same thing applies for the red japanese maple.

I planted a coral bark japanese maple in front of my house. Not only will I get "visual interest" from the leaves as the seasons change, but also a nice color in the branches.

I also have a viridis japanese maple bush.

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...26tbs%3Disch:1

handy man88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 04:56 PM   #3

Tree decision

Of all of your choices the Bloodgood Japanese Maple will hold the dark red color the best throughout the growing season. Thundercloud Plum is nice in flower, but short lived and susceptible to lots of problems including aphids, borers, canker, leaf spot....and on and on. Crabapples are beautiful in flower but look ratty the rest of the year and are also susceptible to many of the same issues that plague the purple-leafed plums.

Japanese Maples are quite tolerant of shade- but any red leaf forms will be a muddier color- more green- when grown in the shade.
GardenConcepts is offline   Reply With Quote