Is This Tree Dead? - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-15-2008, 09:43 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Is this tree dead?

It's a huge tree, compare it to the 6ft tall fence. It had new leaves early in the season then shortly after the whole tree turned brown. It's old and big, and now dead?

Advertisement

amdspitfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 12:13 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 528

Is this tree dead?

No expert on trees but from the looks of the background and foreground, its difficult for the tree to get moisture. Most of any watering or rainful runs off.
It appears that excavating was done and the soil was dumped in the background. Is that your property beyond the stone wall? If you can submit another picture showing a sideview of the grade from the background to the foreground, it may confirm my suspicions.
A tree expert may come along and give an opinion whether it can be saved.

Advertisement

rjordan392 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 09:58 PM   #3

Is this tree dead?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjordan392 View Post
No expert on trees but from the looks of the background and foreground, its difficult for the tree to get moisture. Most of any watering or rainful runs off.
It appears that excavating was done and the soil was dumped in the background. Is that your property beyond the stone wall? If you can submit another picture showing a sideview of the grade from the background to the foreground, it may confirm my suspicions.
A tree expert may come along and give an opinion whether it can be saved.
There was an existing retaining wall that was replaced by the new block wall. However no roots were cut and only minimal amount of extra dirt was used to backfill the area. Not much was changed that would cause it to get less water other than the fact that we had a dry winter. It was fine then and had green leaves that suddenly turned brown.
Old 08-16-2008, 10:43 PM   #4

Is this tree dead?

It's hard to tell. I have huge elm in my back yard that does that during dry summers. In the spring it put out a very nice canopy but it then loses all it's leaves mid summer like it's fall. The next summer, the process starts over. This year it's still green because we've had enough rain to keep things going. This same tree did have some roots cut about 10 feet away on one side about 5 years ago but it did the same thing before that.
KHouse75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 10:46 PM   #5

Is this tree dead?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KHouse75 View Post
It's hard to tell. I have huge elm in my back yard that does that during dry summers. In the spring it put out a very nice canopy but it then loses all it's leaves mid summer like it's fall. The next summer, the process starts over. This year it's still green because we've had enough rain to keep things going. This same tree did have some roots cut about 10 feet away on one side about 5 years ago but it did the same thing before that.

Good to know, I think the best route is to just wait and see what happens.